Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin Groove Tools GT7 versus GTBD-7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, Mar 8, 2005.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I currently own a GrooveTools 7 (bolt-on) with the standard Bart electronics. I have just been offered a Bill Dickens signature 7-stringer, and I am just wondering whether the differences are big enough to justify the hazzle. Anyone have any A/B experience on these two Groove Tools? I know the electronics are more advanced and that the BD is neck-through, but how much does this affect the bass overall?

I'm pretty satisfied with the GT7 and wouldn't even have considered a trade if it hadn't been presented to me. Its' not my main instrument, either, I guess. And as these instruments are really difficult to sell here in No(r)way, the extra quality would have to really make a difference to go through with it. And... the problem of selling them may put an effective stop to it anyway. :)

But any experience/opinion welcome! :)

2. I would choose the Bill Dickens model anytime over a GT7, which has bartolini pickups but a Mity Mite preamp, which isn't that great. The Bill Dickens model has a neck through construction, better sustain and Bartolini pickups and electronics.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Amen to Jorg's suggestion. I had a chance to play the Dickens model, and I thought it was loads better than the GT-7. Not that the regular GT-7 is inferior in any way.

If I had to choose, get the best. It's not like you will buy the Dickens model, and say "oh man, this model sucks. I wish I had bought the regualr GT-7."

-Mike

4. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Well, I decided against it, but thanks for your advice, though. :) Appreciated!

Someone told me that the string spacing is narrower on the Dickens, and that the neck was a little flatter. I think the GT7 is flat enough (almost too flat, actually), and I wouldn't want to have a narrower string spacing. That, combined with the fact that these would be really hard to sell here in Norway, settled my mind. I'll stick to my Gt7.

Yeah, the preamp may not be all that hot on the GT7, but that's replacable. :) There's nothing so nice as GAS resolution without expenses! :D :D

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Hi MrWalker,

I am glad to see a fellow 7-string player in Norway! Where about are you?
    I live near Stavanger, and I am the one with the Listerud 7.

6. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I'm up near Bergen :)

Yeah, I've seen that Listerud bass of yours! Pretty amazing! I must admit the GT7 isn't my main instrument, I've got 4 basses that get approx. equally much attention, and the GT7 is no. 5 on the attention list. Wouldn't trade it, though... I've been a 5-string man for years, but now that I can afford more options, I find I enjoy all from 4 to 7 strings. :D You also sold an Atlansia, right? How did that go?

There's another 7-string owner up in Bodø, but he's selling off his Bill Dickens model these days. This is the one I'm discussing above. Hard to move, though... I think if you have the guts to get a 7, you are most likely stuck with it, unless you ship it abroad... but then the prices would not attract much attention (or you would take a heavey loss). ;)

7. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    Hi elros and MrWalker

Didn't know you were here aswell!

:)

8. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I'm a regular over at ebassist, but have been visiting here, too, on a not-so-regular basis. :)