Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin Groove Tools least expensive 7 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akuma12, Aug 27, 2003.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm desperately wanting a 7 string bass, and I'm curious, is the Groove Tool the least expensive 7 string or are there any other makers of 7 strings in the $500-700 range? Or should I not bother with something that low and just save up for a Groove Tool? Thanks!

Jim

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd recommend holding out for the Groove Tools.. The only other brand I can think of is Galveston... But, although I've never played one, I hear they're nowhere near the quality as the GT-7s.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have played galveston instruments, and how can i put this? they suck ass. was that too harsh? i think not. :D seriously, the ones that i've seen were severely lacking in tone and construction.

the conklin groove tools, on the other hand, are excellent instruments for the money, and compare very favorably to the custom conklin instruments that i have.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah, I thought as much, but having never played one I would have posted an unsubstantiated comment.

;)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A shop here in Cologne once had a fretles Warwick 7, which was in the GT pricerange IIRC.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :eek: Dang. That would be rather distracting during a gig.

I tried out a GT-5 at my local guitar centers. It was a great instrument. They had set it up with low action. It played very well. It had a wide range of sounds from punchy to thumpy.

I would definately recommend them.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    really? wow, i remember seeing a warwick pricelist in '93 that had a 7 string on it and it cost big bucks - like a couple thousand over the price of a 6 string.

8. how much have you guys seen GT-7's used for?

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you can usually see them on ebay go for between $600-$800

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ooh,, I'd look for around $500 on Ebay or bassgear.com. Hollywood GC was selling GT-7s for $499.99 just 8 months ago.

11. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I got myself a Conklin GT7 after wanting a 7-string ever since I saw the first picture of a Conklin Sidewinder 7 many years ago. It's a great instrument. It's got a superfast neck that can be adjusted really low, and the pretty unique design makes it balance well and also couple the neck and body excellently (the thing vibrates very well!). The only problem I've had is the weight (the thing is pretty heavey!) and also that the bridge seemed to be mounted a little too close to the neck. At least I cannot adjust the intonation correctly on it. Maybe due to the strings, also, I don't know... Oh, and while I'm rumbling, on the one I got (ordered from eBay to Norway, so I didn't get the chance to test before I bought) the mics were not mounted very well (they were slanting in the slots), and the bridge won't accept the thickest strings (I had a non-taper core .125 that I had trouble fitting in the slot).

But apart from that, the instrument is great. Solid sound, easy to play, and believe me... my Peavey Cirrus 6 is harder to play than the Conklin 7. It just feels so right, you don't even think about the fact that you're carrying double the amount of notes than a Fender P!

Go get one... you won't regret!

Oh, on the Galveston... from what I've seen it seems it's a 6-string with an extra string on it. The neck-joint also looks a little suspicious on those basses. And from what people say who have tested them, they're just no good.

Conklin is the world-leader in >6-string instruments, he's been building them for years (long before anyone else jumped the multi-string bandwagon), and I seriously believe it's the only budget 7-string available.

If you get a Conklin Custom, however, you're talking a completely different price, and the Roscoes, Hanewinckels and MTDs may be able to compete. Or what do you say, JT? I guess you've tested them out??

I got mine for $600 on eBay about 6 months ago. I've seen them go for $580 - $750, but you may be able to get one from a shop somewhere, too.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I love my GT-7. Very finely built, and one of the better B's out there. I've played Smith, Warrior, etc.... and the only thing that compares is a Dingwall Afterburner's B, which is 37" scale. :eek:

13. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I just happened upon the Bill Dickens Signature Series GTBD-7, with neck through body, custom this and custom that. Managed to pick it up used on Ebay for $975 delivered. I just got it on Monday of this week. It's awesome man. So yeah, look out for some deals.

14. guys got soundclips of 'em??
    I might actually ditch the steinberger idea now that I'm hearing how much you guys are liking these :D

is the neck flat and thin?

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The necks on the GT-BD7 (the Bill Dickens model) is VERY flat, and fairly wide, although I've played sixers with wider necks. Here are a couple of jams I made with some friends with me playing my old GT-BD7. I have more if you want to hear them.

Music

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the bill dickens bass is substantially tighter at the nut than the gt7. just fyi

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've played all the major builders' 7 string instruments, and many of them are very very good. it mostly comes down to taste - there's not going to be workmanship flaws or severe objective tone issues in any of these basses. there's also construction paradigms that each bass maker follows that sometimes comes into play as far as ease of playing issues are concerned. again, subjective.

for me, the best i've found are my conklins, that's why i have so many.

18. But how are the groove tool 5 strings?:confused: :cool:

19. yea....I'd like to know that too but it looks like the craze is for the 7...