Conklin Groove Tools

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnalex, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey everyone! I just bought a Conklin GT-4 and I am very pleased with it. I was wondering what you think of the Conklin Grove Tools series? Thank You
  2. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I recently purchased a GT-7 and am very pleased with it. I can only imagine the 4 string version is a very fine bass for the money.

3. Before I bought my Alembic Rogue, I was seriously thinking of getting the GT-5. It's cheaper, but still great quality.
  4. I played a GT-5, eiarler, and I was really pleased with it. I thought it had the quality of the more expensive custom Conklins, with a good price. The only thing it lacked really was customizability (Since there are only like 2 colors, and all that)... other than that I was really impressed
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Groove Tools line are killer basses and guitars for the price.

The GT7 is one of the best bargains around, IMHO.
  6. I love my GT4. I think you'll be really happy with it! :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there

i've been meaning to ask you, how are things going with that bass? i thought i read somewhere that you were getting a carvin - is that true?
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Man, what an instrument! Played one the other nite at GC, and I am really impressed. Not sure what I would do with all those strings, but I found it to be surprisingly playable, beautiful to look at, and, as far as I could tell, good-sounding. A nearby bassist apparently had to test a Fender HRP at high volume, so it was hard to tell. I want one.
  9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey flatwound

scout ebay - you should be able to score one for ~650. shoot, new they are ~$800 from musician's friend, if i remember correctly. i would go that route - the ones in the GC's tend to get abused.
  10. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    The GT-7 is clearly a player in my arsenal. I have no problem using it at a gig.

I'll have to see later about using it in the recording venue. It's pretty hard to beat my Alembic Essence 5 or Steinberger for dialing in exactly what I want those little 1's and 0's to represent.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've been using a GT-7 since December 25th of last year, it's the best bass I own. I can't wait to get a GT-7 fretless.
  12. I've played a few at the GC in St. Louis (don't have any in Kansas City) and all I can say is WOW! The 7-string, which I thought would be a monster, something that was impossible to play, but it was quite the opposite. I liked the tone, too. If the GTs are this good, I can only imagine what John's are like!
  13. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    M bill dickens signature 7 arrived a couple of weeks ago. I've been very pleased with it and for the 900$ I paid for it, I couldn't be happier. The problem is (like with my last GT 7 which i didn't like that much soundwise) that people are offering my almost twice the money I paid for this bass to get it because nobody is importing conklins to finland. Judgind by the demand, maybe I should?
  14. That's true. My GT4 had a couple of little nicks in it when I bought it, although they dropped the price a little bit to compensate.

15. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I think I want a GT-5 .. they look awesome .. only thing is I'd like to try one out first and there are no dealers near me :/ the closest dealer is in WA (I'm in BC, canada) but I can't leave the country because I was a bad boy when I was younger .. heh. Anyone know what I can do ?
  16. Most mail order places, allow a 30 day trial period... maybe you should try that.
  17. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a GT-7 and am very happy with it.
    It's a lot easier to play than most people think.

Great sound and great looks for a great price.

Also great playability.
  18. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    GT-7=heaven(well,not really, but they play, sound and feel very nice for the money!)
  19. Just bought myself a used BD7. What a damn fine bass, and for $100 less than what GC wanted for a GT7.

Now the frets have to come out....heheheh....
  20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, dude, that's a damn fine bd7. enjoy it. :D