Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

conklin grove tools

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 9, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    anybody have any info/experience on how these play or sound?

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Both Conklin Custom Shop models and Groove Tools models get a LOT of talk on these boards. I might suggest you do a quick search and you may just find all the information you're looking for.

A quick synopsis is that the GT's are great for their price. Some people like the standard GT's and others prefer the Bill Dickens model for the tighter string spacing. I'm not sure I remember anybody ever saying anything overly negative about them.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The gt models only drawback is a lack of color options. Features otherwise are very good. The quality of construction is amazing for the price.

4. I own 2 custom Conklin 5's as well as a GT-5. All three are excellent instruments. Below is a pic with the 3 of mine, so you can compare to the customs. The GT is the red one on the right.....

The GT is a great bass for the money. The sound is excellent, and nothing but quality woods are used (Swamp Ash bodies, Quilted or Flamed Maple for the tops, Purpleheart, and Wenge laminated necks). The only downfall (for me) is the tight string spacing.

From what I understand, Conklin discontinued the GT line. I have heard he's coming up with a new line of mass-produced models, but I don't know how true that is.

Hope that helps :)

[​IMG]

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Plays grrreat, sounds grrreat.

But seriously, the Groove Tools 7 is a well designed bass.
    Equiped with Bartolini active electronics along with it's mass gives this bass deep clear lows and crisp highs. You can get some pretty good punchy/growly tones from this bass.
    As far as playability goes, some people are intimidated by the massive neck, but it's not as bad as people think it is.
    It doesn't take long to get use to it. It's a very comfortable neck which provides easy access to the 24th fret even for people with small hands.
    I bought mine before I had even played one. I had no problem adjusting to it, and all I had really ever played was 4 strings.
    But try one if you have the chance.

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That is indeed true... Bye bye Groove Tools; Hello new line..

BTW is that your Conklin fretless 5 I keep seeing on eBay?

7. Hey Mark... I've seen that bass up at least 3 or 4 times on e-Bay. As far as I can see, it's identical. Not mine though.

Truth be told, I also got mine from e-Bay. Got it about a year and a half ago. I paid more than what this auction keeps ending at. Ticks me off! :rollno: