Conklin GT-5 and Cort Curbow 5 fretlesses--necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 22, 2002.

1. I'm looking into getting a fretless 5 this summer, and I've narrowed my choices down to:

-Conklin GT-5FL
    -Cort Curbow 5FL
    -Music Man Stingray 5 Fretless

I may just splurge and get a fretless 'Ray, because I like Stingray 5s a lot, and I'm not quite as worried about a one-piece maple neck as I used to be. However, if I decide to be frugal, I will look long and hard at either of the other two basses.

Playability is of the utmost concern to me, because electronics can always be changed to fix bad tone. Anyhow, what are the necks like on these 5-strings? I'm mainly concerned with thickness. I can't play "modern" necks; anything thinner than a Stingray 5 is really just too small for my hands.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you can't handle anything thinner than a 'Ray then don't get a Cort Curbow. I have a Cort Curbow 5 fretless and it has tight string spacing with a real thin neck.
  3. I get my GT-5 wednesday and it plays nice, and it also looks ****ing awsome!
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Conklin GT5 has a fairly slim neck profile too, Peter. Have you played one?
  5. Nope, just the GT7. I figured the GT4 and GT5 might have thicker necks.

Thanks for the info on the Curbow, Phat Ham.
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i own a ray fretted and was thinking the same myself.i am going to look at the k5 fretless and the lakland again.
  7. I'd look at these, but I only play 34" scale basses (I prefer the tension distribution) so both are out of the question.
  8. Yeah, that's what I'm feeling right now.
  9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    my fretted has been through hell and still plays and looks great. good investment.
  10. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    both the curbow and conklin have thin necks. you dont like think necks so go with the ray.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I recently played a fretless stingray 5, and it felt really nice. More of a P-bass neck than a more "modern" thin profile. I really like the smooth tone. Great hi-fi sound for Jazz and Fusion.:)