Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

I played a GT 5 yesterday at guitar center. It's the first time I had seen a 5. (They must want everyone to play a 7! ;) )

The bass is good looking, as most of you know. It was in great shape except the strap button on the upper horn had been ripped out somehow. The bass has 5 knobs, and a switch. They were asking for $750 for it.

I turned the three lower knobs all to thier center positions. (you can feel them "snap" into place) and the upper knobs I turned up, controlling the volume on the amp. I played through a Fender Bassman 25. I left the switch in the lower position. When I turned it on, it seemed to add a bunch of bass to the signal or something and the amp farted out every note.

As I have described it sounded very good. Very articulate, in fact. It was warm, but clear... if that makes sense. It had great string spacing. I found it a much easier player than my Jazz 5, my Steinberger, or (surprisingly enough) my Rogue. Slapping on it was really easy and the sound was great. The B string was strong sounding, not floppy, easy to play.

This will definately be my next aquisition.

Then I will have a Jazz 5, Jazz 4, Steinberger, GT 5, and Rogue ABG 5. :D

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

One of the nice things I noticed about the GT-7 was the
    "shallow" neck - not some deep, bulbous thingie. Made
    gettin' around (for me anyways) very easy. Did that GT-
    fiver have a slim neck too?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yes it did. :) It reminded me of how sleek the Ibanez necks are, it just sounded a lot better. (to me)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Incidentally, so did it. I was impressed. Not blown away, but definitely impressed. I'd take one any day. There are better 5ers in the same range, but the GT is NOTHING to sneeze at.

5. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Very strange. Today, I was at GC in Sherman Oaks and played what I assume is the same bass. Some coincidence.

It seemed nice enough. What did you think of the on the back of the neck just past the nut. It reminded me of some Washburn models that had a diamond back there.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, gabu, good for you. hope you dig it when you get it. :D

7. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    USA
    It's good to hear some positive feedback on the GT5, I've been debating whether or not I should try one out. I'm looking for something with a very different tone as compared to my Fenders and the Lakland. Based on the woods used on that bass I figure I'd get just that.

It's pretty much the only Conklin that I'd be able to afford at this time, after messing around on the site drafting up custom scenarios the prices quickly rose past the $4k mark. I have no doubt those basses are worth the cash but I just don't have it to spare right now. I only wish the GT5 was available in different body finishes.