SOLD Conklin GT-7 fretless 7-string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Trouztrouz, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Price:
    $850
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    For sale is a Conklin 7-string fretless Groove Tools GT-7. This is not a defretted bass. I’ve had a lot of fun with this bass but I’ve got my sights on other things and it’s time to thin the herd a bit.

I got the bass used from ebay in about 2003. It came with a fretted neck installed and the fretless neck as a spare. I swapped the necks as soon as I received the instrument and it’s been a fretless ever since. I don’t know for a fact which was on the bass when it left the factory or why the seller had an extra neck. The nut was way too high for a fretless (appeared to be the same as the fretted nut), but I had it professionally re-cut not long ago and it plays great.

There are a few dings or tiny cracks in the finish and I tried to get a picture of every one. Some of them are kind of hard to see in the pictures. If you see a mark that isn’t in a red circle it’s probably a reflection. Near the bottom strap button is a pale mark under an inch long, but that one is on the wood under the finish. Some scratches on the fingerboard from the strings.

The electronics are in perfect working order and sounds great. Other than the business about the neck mentioned above, everything is stock as far as I know. Specs:

34” scale

7-piece wenge/purpleheart neck with ebonol fingerboard, 16" radius

Swamp ash body with figured maple top

Bartolini active pickups with volume, blend bass and treble controls

Natural finish

The string spacing at the bridge measures 16.5 mm

Weighs about 11 lbs. if my bathroom scale is to be trusted

Brand new strings!

Asking $850 OBO. Includes shipping (CONUS only) and insurance. Comes with a padded gig bag. Paypal is fine. Not looking for trades at this time.

Thanks for looking.

GT-7F1.jpg GT-7F2.jpg GT-7F3.jpg GT-7F4.jpg GT-7F5.jpg GT-7F6.jpg GT-7F7.jpg GT-7F8.jpg GT-7F9.jpg GT-7F10.jpg GT-7F11.jpg GT-7F12.jpg GT-7F13.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Very cool. The factory fretless basses are pretty rare, I've only seen a few of them over the years.

3. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Thanks! These are indeed rare birds - I think I've seen more posts about defretted GT-7s that factory fretless ones.

4. Nick Thorpe

Nick Thorpe Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Would you cut the price for a local pickup in NoVA? Where are you located?

5. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Yes, I'll PM you.

6. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Still on the market, folks.

7. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Does it come with both necks ... or just the fretless?

8. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I do still have the fretted neck. However, it appears to have developed a hairline crack in the fretboard from about the 12th fret through the 24th to the end. It expect it is still playable but I can't guarantee that. My intention was to offer it to the buyer as a freebie. I didn't mention it in the original post to make it clear that is not part of the asking price and is offered in "as-is" condition. If you have particular interest in the fretted neck I can take some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

9. Fret (opps) finger board radius? Had a GT7 fretted and the radius was flatter than I prefer. Does the radius of fret less and the fretted neck seem about the same?

Giving this some serious consideration.

RJM

10. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    So the GT-7 page website says 16" radius. It's not entirely clear if that only applies to the fretted or the fretless as well; I assumed that it did. I just pulled out the fretted neck and compared the curve of the fretboards the best I could. All those strings really get in the way. To my eyes they look the same. It's definitely a great, big, wide, flat-ish fretboard.

11. Preoxii

Preoxii

Sep 22, 2016

12. Preoxii

Preoxii

Sep 22, 2016
    Interested in finding out more on this bass... does it come w/ both necks?

13. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Yes. See post no 8 for details. As far as I know the fretboard crack is the only issue. The neck is straight and I believe the truss rods work.

Here is a picture. I tried to show the crack but it's hard to tell from the wood grain in places.
    IMG_20170319_160024_zpsaxghw2j2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  14. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Sold! Thanks for looking, everybody.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017