Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT-7 mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Dec 6, 2002.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Have done a search and after getting back what was equivilent to the L.A. Yellow Pages thought Id go for a more direct approach..

To any and all who own a Conklin GT-7... I've noticed mine is VERY weak tone-wise and will be dropping a new preamp in it shortly... Im looking at a Demeter 3 band (some drilling required)...

I was just curious to know from those who've done this mod already what type you've used and differences in tone after mods were completed.

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Weak in tone? I guess it is a little, but not that much. It depends opn your pickup settings I guess.

I'm curious about this mod too... sounds like a good idea. I'll be getting a new pre for it when I get MIDI anyway.

John Turner has a Demeter 3 band in his 'blood bass.' It sounds very very deep... he strings that bass with an F# and it sounds very nice like that.

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmmmmmmmm.... MIDI??? I havent even thought about that... Looks like I'll be diggin deeper for more mods!!!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Keep us posted on mod progress, eh? I'm also interested in swapping out that poor Mighty Mite pre. It's the worst thing about the bass.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's not quite a standard GT-7, but BassSaxMan has the GT-BD7 that was modded out by the guys at Bass Alone (I think it was them anyway). ABM bridge with wider spacing, custom inlays, purpleheart control cavity cover and plate above the pickups, and probably some other jazz. I'm not sure if there were any electonics upgrades or not. Nice looking bass. Wish mine looked like that :)

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Primarily Im just looking for a better sound from it... Right now it's rather weak and nasally.... No a** to it at all. Probably do the actual mod myself.. Former Naval electronics technician so I have pretty good soldering skills... Drilling the new hole for the extra pot shouldn't be too much trouble with the drill press.. Not really worried about cosmetic blemishes.. I dont plan to get rid of it. Now if I eventually get a MIDI mod done.. that's something I'll probably send off to have done. Also gonna try to get some screw inserts put in for the cavity and battery plates.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't believe so. Not anymore, anyway. I'm pretty sure John said he has that back in the store these days.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :confused: Huh. It's still listed in his profile....maybe he brought it back. Good looker either way.

9. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    The Dickens is posted again on the Bass Alone site.

I upgraded my GT-7 with a Bart preamp, and went the 18V route.

Drilling was the easy part.

There was very little room left over for a secure preamp mounting AND an additional 9V battery.

Worst thing I ever did, that preamp seemed to suck the life right out of the instrument...and I generally like Barts! No sir, didn't like it at all after that...sold the bass (once you drill an extra hole, there's no going back to "stock" gracefully!).

YMMV...

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the demeter pre works pretty well with bart pickups. another potential option is the duncan basslines 3 band premamp.