Conklin GT-7 or Cirrus 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rowka, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Conklin GT-7 with GK2b

18 vote(s)
  2. Claro Walnut Cirrus 6

15 vote(s)
  1. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm looking at getting en extended range bass and have the chance at either a GT-7 or a Cirrus 6.

Out of those two which would you pick? Both available for about $750. the Conklin also has a GK2b mounted on it.

Or what else would you recomend in the at or at or under $1000 range?

btw, I've had a cheaply made 6 before and I won't have another. Those that know the basses in my collection will understand my standards. (Pedullas, Alembic, Knuckle Quake)
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I know this is the stock reply, but did you get a chance to play both of them? There is quite a different feel to both basses.

I've had three GT7's (currently down to only one while I'm waiting for my custom 7 to be buillt), and although I've never owned a Cirrus, I've had the opportunity to spend some quality time with one.

The GT7 is a big bodied booger, considerably larger and heavier than the Cirrus. While not a custom Conklin, it's really well made for a production bass. The Cirrus is well built and well respected, but is, IMO, a totally different feel from the GT7.

If at all possible, try to get your hands on both of them. While well built and certainly a pro-level axe, the Cirrus just doesn't do it for me at all. I'm a Peavey supporter and I think they did a great job on the Cirrus, but I just don't like the feel of the bass for me. The Cirrus has a ton of TB supporters that can give you better info about the bass.

The GT7's are also pro-level equipment. No, they are not the custom shop quality you get from Conklin, but it's a lot of bass for the money. I personally like a bit woodier and earthy tone, so that's my only complaint with the GT7's, they're definitely a more modern sound.

I voted for the GT7 ....... :cool:
  3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    .....deja vu?

Be certain which GT you're looking at - I prefer the regular GT over the Bill Dickens variant as I am ham-handed. Both are incredible production basses.
  4. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    I agree to what you're saying, but in my ears, the Cirrus is a more modern (hi-tech, sterile) sound than the GT7. :)

Apart from that, my advice has already been offered, so... ;)

I voted GT7 again.
  5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Agreed :D Once again, my advancing years prohibit me from posting an intelligible response :rollno:

I was more talking about the GT7 being more modern sounding than my FBB custom being built ;) I agree that the Cirrus is a very modern sound, as well. :cool:
  6. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Check out a used Carvin LB/BB/XB76. They should be in about the same price range. Great made-in-USA build quality, decent hardware, OK electronics that are easy to upgrade. I preferred the BB76 model for its balance.

I've only played one GT7, and while I liked the playability and the woods used, I didn't care for the electronics or the bridge hardware, and the fretwork could have been better. I have no experience with a Cirrus.
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I was in a similar position, should hopefully very soon have a trans red cirrus 6 winging it's way from TBer Vic to me. I guess that's me out of being impartial :D. I have to confess I have had no experience with the GT-7, I personally was looking at the GTBD-7. In the end I decided I wasn't really ready to spring straight to a 7 string and not convinced I could get comfortable on one. Also, the GTBD was more expensive than the Cirrus.
  8. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    ;) I thought there was some reference missing.

Took a browse through FBB's web site... many nice basses there!

And then *bump*, Rowka! :D
  9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    go for the GT...

they are amazing, I wish I had the funds for one now, I'd snap it up before they're all gone!