1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Conklin GT-7 or Cirrus 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rowka, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Conklin GT-7 with GK2b

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Claro Walnut Cirrus 6

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm looking at getting en extended range bass and have the chance at either a GT-7 or a Cirrus 6.

Out of those two which would you pick? Both available for about $750. the Conklin also has a GK2b mounted on it.

Or what else would you recomend in the at or at or under $1000 range?

btw, I've had a cheaply made 6 before and I won't have another. Those that know the basses in my collection will understand my standards. (Pedullas, Alembic, Knuckle Quake)

2. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I know this is the stock reply, but did you get a chance to play both of them? There is quite a different feel to both basses.

I've had three GT7's (currently down to only one while I'm waiting for my custom 7 to be buillt), and although I've never owned a Cirrus, I've had the opportunity to spend some quality time with one.

The GT7 is a big bodied booger, considerably larger and heavier than the Cirrus. While not a custom Conklin, it's really well made for a production bass. The Cirrus is well built and well respected, but is, IMO, a totally different feel from the GT7.

If at all possible, try to get your hands on both of them. While well built and certainly a pro-level axe, the Cirrus just doesn't do it for me at all. I'm a Peavey supporter and I think they did a great job on the Cirrus, but I just don't like the feel of the bass for me. The Cirrus has a ton of TB supporters that can give you better info about the bass.

The GT7's are also pro-level equipment. No, they are not the custom shop quality you get from Conklin, but it's a lot of bass for the money. I personally like a bit woodier and earthy tone, so that's my only complaint with the GT7's, they're definitely a more modern sound.

I voted for the GT7 ....... :cool:

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    .....deja vu?

:confused:

:p

Be certain which GT you're looking at - I prefer the regular GT over the Bill Dickens variant as I am ham-handed. Both are incredible production basses.

4. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I agree to what you're saying, but in my ears, the Cirrus is a more modern (hi-tech, sterile) sound than the GT7. :)

Apart from that, my advice has already been offered, so... ;)

I voted GT7 again.

5. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Agreed :D Once again, my advancing years prohibit me from posting an intelligible response :rollno:

I was more talking about the GT7 being more modern sounding than my FBB custom being built ;) I agree that the Cirrus is a very modern sound, as well. :cool:

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Check out a used Carvin LB/BB/XB76. They should be in about the same price range. Great made-in-USA build quality, decent hardware, OK electronics that are easy to upgrade. I preferred the BB76 model for its balance.

I've only played one GT7, and while I liked the playability and the woods used, I didn't care for the electronics or the bridge hardware, and the fretwork could have been better. I have no experience with a Cirrus.

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I was in a similar position, should hopefully very soon have a trans red cirrus 6 winging it's way from TBer Vic to me. I guess that's me out of being impartial :D. I have to confess I have had no experience with the GT-7, I personally was looking at the GTBD-7. In the end I decided I wasn't really ready to spring straight to a 7 string and not convinced I could get comfortable on one. Also, the GTBD was more expensive than the Cirrus.

8. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    ;) I thought there was some reference missing.

Took a browse through FBB's web site... many nice basses there!

And then *bump*, Rowka! :D

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    go for the GT...

they are amazing, I wish I had the funds for one now, I'd snap it up before they're all gone!