Conklin GT-7 or KSD ProtoJ 5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Mar 21, 2004.

Conklin GT-7 or KSD protoJ 5

Poll closed Mar 28, 2004.
  1. Conklin GT-7

13 vote(s)
  2. KSD ProtoJ 5

13 vote(s)
  1. well I've pretty much got my choices for a new bass narrowed down between these two basses....I figured I'd bring it to you guys to see what ya think...I've been playing a 6 string for 2 years now, so I'm really used to having my C string there, that's why I'm looking at the GT-7 instead of GT-5.

here's what I'm looking for in a bass...

solid slap tone
    easy for tapping
    easy for other various neck playing techniques
    good growl, but versitle to other sounds

pretty much I need a bass that will let me sound like Wooten at one moment and like a rock bassist(insert various musicians here) at another moment...

thanks a lot.
  2. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I voted for the KSD, but that's just because I practiacally refuse to play anything more than a six.

The problem is that these two basses are so radically different that's it's hard to decipher why they are the choices you have. I've played both; the KSD has a wicked Marcus-like slap tone and great growl (the ash on maple version), and the GT7 is remarkably easy to play and sounds pretty decent.

Different strokes for different folks is what I would usually say, but the two strokes are almost too different for just one folk.
  3. up, please give some more thoughts on this guys
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're really comparing apples to oranges here. on the one hand, the ken smith is a very good jazz bass, with the tone and feel that you would expect, but on the other the gt7 is really it's own instrument - wide range of sounds available, but may not nail the classic jazz bass tone as well as the ksd bass, in favor of a wider range of tonal options.
  5. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    John, I understand your affinity for Conklin products, but I wouldn't say that a GT7 has a necessarily wider range of sounds than the KSD. Both go active when you want it and passive when you need it, both have a solid B, two pickups, and musical preamps. Tonally, I would say the only advantage the GT7 has over the KSD is the few extra notes it can play.
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    after playing one of the new USA Jazz (with the series/parallel switch), I have renewed love for Jazz Basses....definately get the KSD, but do yourself a favor and try to get a mod done on it for a series/parallel. Maybe a push/pull volume knob...

The neck pickup in series soloed (no bridge pup) sounds better (IMHO) than a P bass.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Tough call... You said:

solid slap tone: The GT-7 has a great slap tone, but some find the narrow string spacing difficult for that technique.. If this is your primary technique, I'd say go for the Smith..

easy for tapping: I don't think either one would be any "easier" than the other to tap on... The GT-7 gives you a greater range to tap than the KSD... The GT's slim neck profile makes tapping very comfortable.. I'd recommend the GT-7..

easy for other various neck playing techniques: Not really sure what you mean here.. Are you meaning "positions" or other techniques (chording, harmonics, etc)? This is something you'll really have to decide for yourself... The width of the Conk's neck throws a lot of people off, but you've played a 6 for 2 years so you're obviously comfortable with the wider widths.. Honestly I can't give you a recommendation.. But I can say that I have no trouble playing various techniques on my 7's and 8's..

good growl, but versitle to other sounds: Very subjective.. I like the sound I get from my GTs.. I've used them in many different settings from rock/metal to swing to reggae and it's done a great job.. You might think differently..

The Groove Tools is an excellent, extremely versatile instrument as I'm sure the KSD is as well... I'd have to say if your primarily a slapper to go for the KSD.. If you're more into finger-style/chording/tapping, go for the GT..
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The Gt-7 will let you sound like Wooten (all other things being equal of course) and (insert rock guy here) the next. IME the KSB will not be as flexible.

disclaimer - I own a gt-7, I've only played the other.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The KSD has a superior slap tone. I owned a GT7 for a while and found it to be an excellent value and a good bass for the price. Since you listed slap at the top of your list, however, I think you'd be better off with the KSD. I have the natural fiver and, while the neck is pretty big for a five, it really has a sound that sits well in the mix with a band. And it's very well balanced on a strap given its considerable weight.
  10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    affinity has nothing to do with it. i'm experienced on both, and in my experience the gt7 has more tonal options available, however it is _not_ able to go passive - there is no way to bypass the preamp on the gt7.
  11. thanks for the help guys! I mostly play finger style, but I love to's not my primary technique but I do love to do it...eventually I know that I'll own both of these basses, it's just a matter of which one to get first :)

I play in a "jam band" very Phish'esque...and I also play in a Christian rock band very Switchfoot'esque....but I'm also wanting to start doing solo shows (classical peices,Jaco and Wooten styled peices,tapping peices,etc) so I need a bass that can handle all of this this is a rough choice.

dang it, why can't I just afford a Fodera...then I'd have every thing I wanted in a
  12. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I realize this is out of left field, but what about building a 6 string Gecko from warmoth? Like I said, out of left field....
  13. I wouldn't trust myself to build one, lol...

i've heard that with those they can sound awesome, or sound like's all in how they're put together.
  14. I voted Conklin. I'd LOVE to get one of those 7-bangers! My hands actually fit on 'em, and it'd be killer to do some chordal work on that sucker for an extended period of time. Not just the showroom floor.
  15. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I don't think JT was being biased at all. These 2 are very different beasts. I own the KSD, I have been interested in a GT 7 especially the Bill Dickens model, just haven't gotten around to getting one yet. Its hard to compare these two cause its so different. Maybe JT'll notice I'm standing up for him and give me one of his 7 stringers for backing him up :smug: but then again I can always dream! :)
  16. anybody know where I could find soundclips of these basses? thanks

also keep bringing in info on these, I realize that they are 2 different beasts...but I still like to hear opinions...thanks!
  17. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If someone would give me a clue as to how to record a clip I'd do it :p but my KSD has a J-Retro in it, won't sound the same as a stock.
  18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    you should get a 3 string Bee bass :D

try to play both and decide for yourself. I live BFE (Jackson, Ms) the land of average basses with bad setups and will NEVER see either of these.

The highest quality bass I have ever played here was a Cirrus, then it got sent back to wherever it was from.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
  19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    your bass is in the mail :D :hyper:
  20. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    As long as you're just handing them out, I'll gladly take that wonderful beast of a double neck off your hands ;) I have such horrible GAS for a custom shop Conklin its not even funny.