Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT-7?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shandon, Mar 1, 2003.

1. For the price, is the Conklin GT-7 Bass worth it, I mean I play a lot of classical stuff and do a lot of tapping rhythms and I need a lot of strings so I can hold those high whole notes and keep the rhythm w/ the half and quarters etc. like playing a piano, but w/ a bass, ya know, so any input would be good. I was just curious about the pros and cons on this bass. Thanx

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    WAY nice for the bucks. Love mine. TONS of brightness for tapping available in the preamp. Rock-solid necks, yielding a pretty clear low B, surprisng for a 34" scale machine. Be sure to look on ebay and in the want ads here at TB and Harmony-Central.com, they're regularly available second-hand for $550-$650.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Eli failed to mention that he has two of them...one fretted and one fretless...

The necks are W-I-D-E...but what else would you expect in a 7 string...

Perhaps the only con is that there is no mid control in the preamp IIRC.

Have fun!!!

4. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Go to ebay and search for "conklin bass"... there's two 7's and a 4 up there right now, the two 7's are 4 and 9 days away and are at just over $500. Make sure you ask about cases...

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have one ( soon to be two) and once you get used to the width of the neck it becomes as natural as any other bass.. Well, for me it was like that... However, I did play 6'ers for years before I made the jump to seven..

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I liked everything about the GT7 (sold mine a few weeks ago and replaced it with a Conklin SW) except the Mighty Mite preamp. No mid control is a serious drawback for me and the voicing didn't suit my taste either. Otherwise, great bass for the money.

7. I'm thinking about getting a Bill Dickens sig model Conklin -- all of the same quality without that Mighty Mite preamp! :D

Sure it's a little more expensive, but it seems worth it to me. From the limited time I've spent on a GT-7, I've got to say that playing it is not as imposing as it looks. They really are great basses overall.

FWIW, I believe Dave Grossman from the boards does a lot of classical playing. He may stop by at some point and offer a little input, though I don't know if he's got much to say about the Conklin in particular.

8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Are you talking about the New Century series?

9. I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's still Korean-made. More specifically, it's the GTBD-7. I believe they've got some info about it on their site (www.conklinguitars.com) under "Groove Tools." JT seems to know a thing or two about them since he's the one that suggested that particular model to me.

Main differences are a different preamp, neck-through, and slightly narrower spacing at the nut.

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Oh yeah...

**DUH**

I see that you even listed it up there!!!

Sorry, lack of beer intake over the last week...

11. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I would definitely have snagged Dickens models over my GT7's if I'd had the disposable capital. The preamp is nicer with the mid control, the construction is neck-thru, and the nut is narrower though the bridge spacing is the same. All told, a cnsiderably nicer machine. And WAY good-looking besides, 'specially in natural.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree, although i really love the purple with the gold hardware. yummy. they're both great instruments, both compare very favorably to my customs.