Conklin GT (groove tools)...quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richnota, Dec 28, 2007.

1. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    How would you rate the lower-priced Conklin GTs?

In terms of fit and finish are they comparable to MIK Spectors? MIK Fenders? Don't want to commission a custom Conklin (even though Spade2You's is quite nice), but these look like they might be a cool addition.

2. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    fit and finish...did you just buy a house?

they are well put together for the price and they are ergonomically playable

my only knock other than the shape just doesnt look that appealing to me is the pickups dont do it for me, I am using a 7 string fretted as reference here, but I thought it was a deal breaker

They did not have the fatness of my Wal Pickups or the personality of great JB pickups, so I was really uninspired by the sound

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    My GT5 has excellent FnF, is as stable as hell and sounds good. Good value for the money they go for used.

4. Aren't they made by Court in Korea?? My Conklin Prestia Edition was awesome.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I had a GT5 a couple years back. Good, solid bass. Heavy as an anchor and had sub-par electronics. I had a very thin and comfy neck, string spacing was tight though. Mine had a more clean, modern type of tone which is why I didn't like it. But, I have no complaints about the construction.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Yep.

Definitely the weak point with them, especially the pre on the early one's like mine. A shotgun is the best fix for it, but remove it from the bass first.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the pickups in the gt7 are bartolinis, and the 2 band eq is bart-designed. pretty unfair to equate them to something custom like a wal, though, since a wall is gonna cost you 5x as much, at least.

all in all the cort-made groove tool conklins compare very favorably to my custom conks - the nut width on the 7 is a bit wide for me personally, but the bill dickens sig model is perfect in that regard as well.

if you have any questions about em, i'll do what i can, i have some knowledge of conklin products :D ;)

jtfamilyx2.jpg

(all but 2 are conklin customs)

Dave Neal likes this.
  8. Come on, Rich!!! Order another Spade2you signature model! You know you wanna! :p

9. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    My bass selection is easy. I've decided to simply buy whatever Spade2you buys.

While I'm hoping his next bass is a Citron Steve Swallow, I guess I'll settle for whatever he's having.

His latest. The Spade2You Conklin (note the fingerboard extension....)

samsconklin.gif

Lots of strings. No fretlines. A guy could hurt himself.

10. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    OOooooo!!! Purty!!!!

11. tumbajito

tumbajito

Jan 19, 2008
    :meh: I have a GT5 (groove tools) and I really like a particular kind of modern tone I get. The problem I'm having is that the G and D strings sound very week in contrast with the A, E, and B ones. Repair peole have tried all, I was last advice to replace the pick-ups. Has any body had this problem with this bass. I tryed contacting Cort guitars they but never got back to me. I wanted to get the same pick-ups because I like the sound. any advice on other pick-ups to get that kind of warm modern tone?

Thanks

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    No idea from experience, but several ideas. I also have a GT5 and haven't updated the pickups yet, but will eventually. I'm beginning to think Villex linear humbuckers in the EMG40 sized housings might do the trick.

13. onemorebass

onemorebass Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    West Salem, Wisconsin
    I owned a GT4 for a while. The build quality was pretty good, but I have to agree with others about the electronics, remove em' and shoot em'.... or just replace em.

The Prestia Edition FL Knifemaker owned was totally cool.

14. I was a dumbass for selling it. If anyone has one they want to get rid of, let me know :D

15. Been thinking about a conklin 7 string myself but I dont have the money yet, or know enough about them tone wise to drop on the custom.. I've heard the used GT7s and GTBD7's can be had reasonable. What is a reasonable price range and how do they do for chords?

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    How are the electronics on the Dickens model? Is it a noticable improvement?

/rick

17. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I recently acquired a Dickens model and IMO the electronics are a BIG improvement over the standard Groove Tools models.

IMG_0451a.jpg

18. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I had a GT-7. Overall I thought the materials/build quality were quite good but I found that the high G, C, and F strings sounded thinner than the B, E, A, and D. I felt it had more to do with the EQ than the pickups (wasn't much of a problem with EQ set flat)--I liked the Bart soaps.

If I had kept it I probably would have put in a 3-band EQ with sweep mids and passive bypass/tone control, but the bass was way too big/heavy for me so I sold it.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021