Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

conklin gt rocco prestia bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scoote3639, Aug 16, 2005.

1. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    does anyone have an update as to the status of the conklin gtrp-4 ,current and future existance...or demise? thanks.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The line was cancelled. A few prototypes were manufactured but that's all.. Do a search for more info.

3. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    does anyone have one of these rare rocco basses? bill conklin told me there were aboyt 30 made.period. where are they i wonder? they look great but how did they play,sound.wonder if they will be sought after since so few were made and none are on the horizon.

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    One pops up on Ebay from time to time.. I think someone here owns one, but can't remember who exactly..

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I don't think they're extremely sought after, I recall one on ebay going for around 700-ish and he had to relist it a few times.

6. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    i wonder if at the time of the e-bay auction Conklin was still going ahead with production.this confirmation about the end of production is relatively current...as in last month or so.anyway...just curious.

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Bill has recently ceased production on the entire Groove Tools line of which the Presita bass was a part of. This has been in the last month or so. As I understood it, the Prestia basses were canned long before then.

I may be wrong, but Bill never openly advertised them on his site and I never saw them for sale at any retail places which carried the Groove Tools line.

8. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    just for funs sake....i wonder where they all are.... or have they all stepped into the twilight zone ,or better yet, did the all get in formation and fly into the bermuda triangle never to be seen again.....yep..too much t.v.

9. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Maybe Jimmy Hoffa knows...

10. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
  11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Is it just me or are those pickups crooked?

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They're sitting in a room somewhere.......right next to all the Fender Rocco Prestia Sig P-Basses that no one can find either.:meh:

13. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    its a coptic illusion ....no..really ..the bridge pickup is slanted to give the g and d strings a little advantage in their low end. the neck p pickup is reversed for the same reason.

14. scoote3639

scoote3639

Mar 16, 2004
    good find ladros 2....jeez....its in europe! thats one...where are the other 29? unlike the "fender rocco p bass" i know these were actually made and taken to namm 2003 and sold to retailers as their floor demo for taking orders.im just intrigued by this ...i dont know why...

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I really like these basses. Also I heard a clip of a recent DVD TOP is releasing soon and it sounds killer.

16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I can account for 1 of 'em. I knew they were uncommon, but had no idea there were only 30 built. These are fine instruments, guys. Superb build quality and attention to detail abounds on this thing. Soundwise, I'd describe it as punchy and smooth at the same time. It has its own voice.

[​IMG]

17. The WHOLE Groove Tools line was cancelled? That's a shame. They were really great basses for the money and the ideal way to get into the world of ERB. I'm just loving my GT7. So much so that I recently traded in my Lakland 55-02... Guess that means I'm just going to have to get funky on a 7 from now on! :bassist: ;)

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's a really nice bass but I just can't get over that slanted bridge pickup! That would bug the heck outta me!!

19. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I can account for one of these basses too. I love mine - great tones and very easy to play.
    Pat

20. Alowishus

Alowishus

Feb 28, 2005
    Does anyone know why Bill cancelled the groove tools line?