Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT7 and neck width!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretless_freak, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I saw this on ebay. Could somebody tell me if the statement about the basketball is true?

"Seven strings! You better be able to palm a basketball before you play this truly gorgeous instrument. Ash body with burning magenta Maple top. Bartolini active electronics. 24 frets. Locking jack. Feel every note you play in your bones. This bass is ungodly. Email metalhellion@aol.com for more pictures (larger and better detail) and questions."

2. I checked one out in GC and was suprised at how easy it was to play! I thought it would be out of control, but the neck seemed very managable.

Its my dream bass ...

Later -

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't palm a basketball. Of course, I don't play a GT-7. But from John Turner's comments about his hand size, I'll bet that he can't palm a basketball either. Doesn't prevent him from playing 7 and 8 string very well.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Well, if a basketball is close to a double D, then I guess I can palm a GT7.

;)

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    that statement is not true..

I however can palm a basketball with ease.. but the GT-7s neck is not bad at all.. its thick but not ungodly thick..

6. I've played one several times at the local GC and I didn't have even the slightest problem in managing the neck (funny thing really, I find it more comfortable than most 5's and 6's that I've played).

7. I bumped up from a 4 to a 5 and I love the width of the 5! I find it hard to go back to the 4, though!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Natural double D's give quite a bit more than a basketball does, a two year old can palm those.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I own a GT-BD7, which I find quite playable. My hands aren't very large either; a little smaller than normal, to be specific. The thing about the GT-7 necks is that while the necks are WIDE, they are also extremely THIN-as in the width between the fretboard and the back of the neck. Your fingers can stretch out a lot more over the fingerboard when the neck is so thin. So it's actually a very comfortable bass to play.

Oh, and no, I can't palm a basketball. Not even close :D

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Let me put it in a nut shell,
    if you can play a 4 string you can play a 7 string.

Or better yet, if you can play a 4 string you can play any other bass, a 7, 8, 9, 10 string or what ever.

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Remember these words,

It's not the size of the wave, but the motion of the Groove.

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    OK, my $.02 :

Why the hell, on the GT7, didn't they either use a bridge that takes full advantage of the width of the neck/fingerboard (my choice) or, if not that, make the neck/fingerboard a little narrower?

As it sits now there is quite a bit of wasted fingerboard space on the outside of the B and F strings by the time you get to the 24th fret.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's because the bridge that they use isn't aren't the same as the ones that bill uses on the customs - the abm bridge is awesom. if you get a gt7, that's the upgrade that i would do, along with slapping a bart active mid control in there.

oh, and as for palming a basketball, no, i can't do that. my pinkie is 2 inches long and my middle finger is a bit more than 3.

btw, thanks jeff :)

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    John, do you happen to know how much the ABM replacement bridge would be? And are the the attachment screws in the same places (ie: no new drilling)?

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not really sure about the screws being in the same place - i doubt it, actually, since the abm is a bigger bridge.

www.allparts.com sells abm's, they could probably hook you up. don't forget to check out the piezo abm's ;).

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    john- you know how i want RMC on my gt7, and will likely get a new preamp when i do, 3 band, would bill put an abm bridge standard with the RMC? or would that be extra?

gonna be a costly upgrade.... :(

my hands arent that big, and i have no trouble.