Conklin GT7 & Ebay = Stupidity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Mar 7, 2006.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Here's what I'll never understand about some Ebay people .....

Right now, 8:45 am on March 7, 2006, there are three Conklin GT7's on the 'bay. The first is currently at $1,525 with 14 bids, the 2nd is actually a GTBD7 @ $1,150 with 4 bids and the 3rd is @ $1,200 with 1 bid. Of course, the way the 'bay works, it doesn't mean that there are that many different bids .... one buyer may have placed multiple consecutive bids as the price went up.

But, really, ***!!!! Just go to Musicians Friend and buy a new one for $1,299!!! Yes, they do have 'em in stock. And you get the return policy if you can't handle the 7 .....

The only one that makes any kind of possible sense is the GTBD7 ...... :ninja:

Actually, I'm glad people are basically stupid. I have a GT7 that'll be going bye-bye once my FBB 7 is completed. I had two GT7's, bought one for $499 and the other one for $520. Traded away one of them here at TB, and the way the pricing is going on the 'bay for these things, I may be able to pay off a substantial piece of the custom order with Matt just by selling the other one ......... :cool:
  2. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    You're right... it's strange. I bought mine on eBay about two years ago, and paid about $650 for it, if I remember correctly. Now that the range is discontinued, I guess they are pushing the prices as well. And the stock at Musician's Friend doesn't last for ever.

It's weird that the prices are beginning to climb this soon... but on the other hand, what are your 7-string alternatives?

Galveston? Or a $4000 Conklin? :)

I'm definatley hanging on to my GT7. I cannot justify spending a high amount on a custom 7, so the GT7 is (was) right for me. :) To bad it is out of production now.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I keep saying that people are being ripped off on eBay - everybody denies it - but the evidence is everwhere!

Of course everybody says what good deals they got - but of course the people who got ripped off are going to be too embarassed to admit it mostly or will just be ignorant about what happened.

Online auctions are "insidious" though and there have been many scientific studies on the psychological process...:meh:

So - somebody sees something and bids - it's now their bass (or whatever) and they get into a bidding frenzy, as psychologically they already feel they own it!

So you see people get into this mindset and then are jubilant/exhilerated - saying things like "I won this bass" - woo for me ....

When all they have "won" is the privilege of paying more than retail price!! :meh:
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Seriously, do you have that saved somewhere and just copy and paste it? I've never seen someone post a rant this regularly on any message board I've ever been on.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Did I start this thread....:meh: ?
  6. I thought these usually ended at 600-700.... wonder why they're so high this week....
  7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Exactly my point for starting the thread .... but,

To add to the craziness, looking further at the auctions it turns out that there are only two bidders with all of this activity between the 3 basses (actually, one other bidder is in on the GTBD7) , both have very low feedback scores. I have a feeling the sellers are about to get screwed ..... :rollno:

Probably just an anomoly with a couple of inexperienced 'bay types messing everything up :spit: Oh well, there goes my big pay day when I get ready to off-load my GT7 :bawl:

edit: This, BTW, goes directly to the point Bruce made above about the "insidious" nature of Ebay ....
  8. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    The nature about eBay is of course true.... but I have seen instruments go cheap, as so called bargains, although it must be said that they are far between. :)

The currenty GT7s seem to be to high, though. Just did a "completed items" search, and seems most have gone between 650 and 900 lately. :) I guess that's more reasonably priced.

If you wait long enough, then maybe the price will go through the roof? :D
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Only stupid people get ripped off.

Since you always bring this up, Bruce, are you mad because maybe you were one of them? Just curious...
  10. Bruce Lindfield

I've never used it and would certainly advise avoiding it all costs - what with the levels of fraud and general "misrepresentation" ...:meh:

I've read several studies about the psychology of it and mainly it's just having been on TB for so many years and seeing all the threads about it - people coming on and going : wow I just "won"....:meh:

It's impossible to avoid if you log on to TB frequently..:(
  11. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I think a lot of people get ripped off and some don't.

I guess if people are willing to fork over that kind of money, and don't mind paying more than they should then so be it. It's like people that buy vintage guitars at GC, I don't get why people do it, but it's their own fault so I just let it go.
  12. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Personally, I've purchased several objects on eBay, and never was ripped off at all. Quite on the contrary. But then I usually decide how much I want to pay, and then set my bid accordingly. Then don't revisit the auction until it's ended. :)

in addition, the price level here in Norway is so high that it's fraud in itself... makes even a rip off on eBay seem cheap. :D

But you've got a point... there are too many people who get hooked, and to some extent, I guess it can be addictive, in a way.
  13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've been buying and selling on ebay for years. I average somewhere around three transactions per week, since '99. In that time, I've gotten "ripped off" exactly zero times by a seller, and maybe four or five times by my own bidding frenzy stupidity.

For items I've sold, about half of them go for for normal market value. About a quarter sell for less (and I go *** happened???) and the remainder sell for over market value (yay!). It all evens out in the end. It's like playing the stock market- If you buy just one stock, and it tanks, you swear off playing the stock market. But there are lots of people who are successful at using both the stock market and ebay.
  14. Interestingly, the one GT-7 is up to over fifteen hundred... The high bidder only has a feedback rating of 1. He's bought just one other item....

A GT-7.

I found that all sorts of strange.
  15. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    If the selling party represents their goods honestly then it is impossible to get "ripped off" on ebay. Basic economics says that people don't trade unless it is beneficial for both parties. So while the buyers may be able to get the bass cheaper somewhere else they are perfectly comfortable paying MORE for it somewhere else. This isn't getting ripped off- it is just paying up to the utility of the price.

Knowledge has a huge value in all transactions since it enables the buyer and seller to realize greater efficiencies of trade. When I first started playing bass I had no idea what I wanted and I had never heard of Talkbass. I jumped on ebay and found a cool looking purple bass that was being sold for $600. It had two pickups (which I thought would be better) and was in my price range so I bought it. Many years later I am much more educated and have purchased much more higher quality basses for less then I bought my first- but did I get “ripped off” with my first bass? Nope. I got exactly what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

This happens every time - everybody says they've never been ripped off on eBay - but every few weeks somebody on TB points out some kind of "stupidity" - like at the start of this thread - having been here for 7/8 years I've seen so much "stupidity" on eBay - but it's always somebody else!! :p
  17. One Conklin Gt7 ships worldwide. Musiciansfriend doesn't. And a bidder called jotapedro80 from Portugal has the highest bid on two Gt7's. Even on one who doesn't ship to Europe. jotapedro80 has only one rating... Hmmzz
  18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If only I had the money, I'd be right onto MF to get me one of those last Groove Tool 7's!

As for Ebay, I've used it once and got ripped off (Payed £30 for every episode of Trailer Park Boys on dvd, got them and they were copies) and I'll never use it again.