Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT7 Have you tried this one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toms, Feb 12, 2001.

1. toms

toms

Aug 22, 2000
    Has any one tried the new Conklin GT 7 7string bass?
    WOW!!!!
    Ok,oK... when I first saw it I thought, what does anyone need with that many strings?, It's all I can do to keep up with my 5 strings.

But when I picked it up and played it, this bass came to life!! I'm a basic "hold down the bottom" bass player with a riff here and there to spice up passing notes, but this bass opens up so many creative riffs and chords, and get this, without changing hand positions. When you get past the size of the neck(looks like a crosstie), it actually feels natural and is very easy to adjust too.

Tone, this bass has a great tone, lots of growl and a smooth slap tone with just the right amount of attack.

I've never givin Conklin a second look because of their price,not to mention I thought 6 or 7 strings was a waist, however Conklin has developed their Groove Tools line.This bass comes in around $1,700 list,I've seen it on special for $999.99. Thats less than what I paid for my Stingray 5, and wow...two more strings.

If you see this bass in your local music shop, plug it up, you'll be blown away with its sound, and you might even supprise yourself with what you can do with it.

Any Comments?

Toms
    no cute comment at this time...

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pretty cool, toms. 7's are happening, no question. I say go for it.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The string spacing was fine for fingerstyle, but a little cramped for slapping. Acoustically, the sound was very woody and midrangey; a little too much so for my taste. Also, the treble strings felt a little stiff; maybe I'm just used to the tension of those guages on a standard g***r, but I felt like I was fighting the GT7. Admittedly, it's a lot of bass for not a lot of money.

4. Have a GT7 love it the first thing to go was the strings it now wears D'Addario's starting with an .018 solid F string and an .027 second or c string. XL's of course. While it is not for everybody it makes a great double for upright bass had it on the gig friday night.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh Man, wait'll JT get ahold of this thread...Speaking of which, where are you JT? I'd have thought you be all over this one by now:D

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will have one someday, unless I find a nice used BD7 for cheap, or one of those $1000 Surines like Brad Johnson did.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't have any of the gt's, and i figured that testimonials from owners would hold more water than my spewings :D

8. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I was very close to buying the GT7 recently, opting for an American Deluxe Jazz 5 instead. 1K seems like a great price for this exotic bass, and the one I tried felt quite nice. My biggest concern with this bass is it tonal integrity throughout all strings and positions, since I assume the Groove Tools line is a production series. I'm sure the custom Conklin's are just insane sounding beasts but I've always subscribed to the belief, you get what you pay for, and 1K almost sounds too good.

Please let me know if I'm off base (pun intended). If so, I very well might want to add one to my line up.

Bones

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hear ya on the "tonal integrity" - that's a valid concern. i've played extended range instruments where the extended range aspect lost some or much of the tone - the low B was weak or the higher strings were too guitar-ish sounding.

with the GT-7's that i've played, the tone has varied, but generally it seemed, to me, to be pretty even across the board. the low b's on all of them that i've played have been great, but on a few the higher strings were a bit thin.

i chalk this up to the fact that the basses come with strings with gauges that i don't like - the snakeskin strings that come on there are gauged :

low b : .127"
    e : .107"
    a : .087"
    d : .067"
    g : .047"
    c : .027"
    f : .022"

on my 7 and 8 strings, i use the following gauges

low b : .135"
    e : .107"
    a : .078"
    d : .055"
    g : .035"
    c : .030" (tuned to b)
    f : .027" (tuned to e)

the lighter middle and the heavier high and low strings feel much more even, tension-wise, and sound more even too.

still, though, the tonality of the GT7 is pretty close to the sound on my bartolini-equipped custom conklin (my fretless 7) that cost me 3x as much.

they are definitely worth US$999