Conklin GT7 or Harley Benton BZ-7000 NT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Canefire, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Ian Canefire

Ian Canefire

May 6, 2017
    Hi all,
    I was about to buy a HB 7 string (US$360 not including shipping) after reading about it and reading many reviews and watching videos. I have a 6 string peavey bass and I enjoy it. I would love to study and play around with the 7 for the next few years. BEADGCF
    Decided to do a craigslist search for any 7 strings in the area. Low and behold there is a Conklin GT7 not far away for $600. Supposedly in great condition.
    I hear that the HB7 needs new strings, shielding or noise gate, and obviously a setup out of the box. All of that puts me a little shy of $600.

Anyone hear play either of these basses?
    I am not buying both.
    Please share your thoughts on what you would do.
    I am leaning towards the Conklin, would definitely do it if the seller would drop the price. I know some people get mad at hagglers.

Thanks
    Ian

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Folk who play 6 string basses tend to scare guitar players to death. I have missed out on auditions because I brought one of my sixes to the place. A seven could cause you problems. Aside from that Conklin make wonderful instruments so you couldn’t go far wrong picking up one. BTW my avatar show my Carvin LB76WP six string.

Ian Canefire likes this.
  3. I'd agree with new strings for the BZ-7000 but shielding and a noise gate ???. Have no need for 6 or 7 strings so I pre-ordered a BZ-4000 when Thomann first announced them 3-4 year back. I don't remember any undue hum coming from the bass. As for "set up" ?,intonation was out slightly on D. Simple fix,took about 2 minutes.

Be aware the BZ-7000 will be heavy. The 4 string was about 12lb,not a problem for me, but there's much more mass involved with the 7 string.

I'd say go play the Conklin if you can but remember Thomann have a 14 day no quibble return policy (even for folks in the US)

$400 inc shipping with 3 year warranty against $600 used with no warranty.
    Only you can decide.

4. Ian Canefire

Ian Canefire

May 6, 2017
    I am not too worried about the weight or neck size. I'm 6ft 3" , 215 lbs and can palm a basketball. I have not had any problems with my 6 string neck width. I plan on getting strap locks and a comfortable strap.

Regarding the shielding. Some reviewers of the HB BZ-7000 said that they noticed noise. A four string bass is not going to be hard to mute strings on. I find with my 6 string I had to learn to mute in a few clever ways. So no doubt 7 strings could be a challenge. If anyone knows chime in on the shielding or noise gate.

Still considering hoping the Conklin doesn't sell too soon.
    Thanks,
    Ian

gebass6 likes this.
  5. @Ian Canefire
    The Conklin should still be there,fella in Glasgow been trying near 2 year to sell his. Not much call for 7 strings here in Scotland :D

BTW Did a bit digging. The fella suggesting shielding/noise gate mostly noticed it when playing through his ancient Zoom BFX-708 multi effects. When his friend went to do the shielding he discovered the preamp gain trim pot was up full,turned down a bit and the noise went away. Well the noise from the bass anyway, if the 708 was like the 506 FX it'd have it's own issues. His stated 12mm string spacing was wrong too,it's 15.5mm.

It's a shame I lost touch with a Kiwi owner as it'd be nice to hear his thoughts 3 year down the line.

Ian Canefire likes this.
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I've got a Conklin GT 7 Bill Dickens model and it is an absolutely amazing bass. I think the differences between the Dickens Model and the Gt-7 has to do with electronics and EQ. My main gripe with it is it weighs a honking ton! Mine was used and had some high fret problems so I got it pleked and that added a couple hundred to the cost, but it plays like butter now. I think it'd be hard to go wrong with a Conklin 7. I also have a bass Mods 7 but virtually never play it because it just sounds pretty much like a standard 6 string bass (except for the extended range). The sound of the Conklin is really special.
    I will admit I haven't played the 7s (or even the 6s) lately because I haven't been doing that style of music for a while, But if you want to do original music with nifty chords and stratospheric solos, woodshedding a Conklin 7 will be just the thing.

7. waltbas8

waltbas8

Sep 7, 2011
    I just picked up a used Harley Benton BZ7000. I kept a Conklin GT7 for a while now, along with 6 and 5 stringed basses. What can I say? The above basses are for the Coffee house or Jazz, or solo gig. The 5 strings are good for Pop, R&B, and other stuff. 4 strings are fun , until the keyboardist invades your spot (with a smile). I know, its the player not the bass, but folks react to the sight of greater than 4 strings with jokes, before the down beat. So start reducing the amount of strings when you increase the count of band members. Show up with the bass that will fit the gig.

8. if you ever want to sell the gt7 let me know, I had one but sold it to pay bills and been trying to track one down again.