Conklin GT7 or not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I am thinking of getting of getting a GT7, this would ge my first to own 7 string, so I need help from members here, is this a good solid 7 string bass to own? Seems like you can get it for under a grand now, but I hope its worth it?? J.T...I know you own several of the Conklin customs vs the GT7, but if you could advise, I would really appreciate it..

Thanks all!
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'm not a J.T., but I play one on TV...

Seriously.. The Groove Tools are a great deal!!! Excellent basses that can be bought used for little money (comparatively)... No, the Groove Tools (with the exception of the Bill Dickens model so I hear) don't come close to the quality you'd get in one of the custom shop basses, but they're an excellent choice for the first time 7 stringer..
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The GT7's are definately quality instruments, and the only thing nicer out there is the Bill Dickens model beore you jump to custom and BIG $$$. Fortunately, the GT7 has possibly the worst resale value on God's green earth. Used ones go on eBay every week for $500-$700, despite their $1200 new price. I have been tempted to get one for a long time, but I must save for an upright!!
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'll sell you mine for a Benjamin a string.... ;)
  5. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    The GT-7's I've played have been fine instruments (and I'm usually picky). I don't see there being a problem in getting one, particularly if you can't afford a custom made 7 (they can be pricey, I've been looking around).
  6. cods

Sep 16, 2003

me too!
  7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004

I'm selling mine for 1125 Us$, its definitive.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love mine, except mine has funky intonation.
  9. Whafrodamus - maybe your strings are too light?