Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT7 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Nov 6, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey guys - heh, I may not like playing more than 4 strings when it comes to bass-groovin', but the GT7 intrigues me with its uber-wide range in the same way that my former Chapman Stick SB8 did. I could never get the hang of the Stick so I ended up selling it, but the Conklin has the added seduction of actually being able to play open strings and such....

so:
    1. can the Conk get its action low enough to play more like a tapping instrument?

2. any possibilities of strapping one on in a near-vertical position?

3. i'm not a huge fan of the GT4 because of its weight and size for a 4-string, does this "even out" (proportionally) across 7? I did like the tone.

4. anybody round DC have one I could check out??

thanks in advance!
    Dave

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a standard GT-7 and the action is low enough for tapping. I could set it lower but it is comfortable enough as it is now.

I don't know about the verticle position thing, but the bass itself is well balanced.

3. 1) Definitely, the neck is big and solid. I have my action set fairly low and I have no troubles tapping aside from getting used to seeing all those strings :D

2) GL with that. :eek:

3) The GT7 is heavy, IMO. But not to the point where it's unreasonable. I've played weightier basses before...

You should definitely try to get your hands on one...the jump from a 4 to a 7 will probably be a little confusing at first. :p

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Let me add that the GT-7 is VERY well balanced which helps as well..

BTW, Cool MP3s 7Stringer.. Kinda reminds me of Testament meets Fates Warning..

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, to me, psychologically it's not going to be from 4 to 7, because i'd mostly *not* be using the GT7 for the same purpose as any other bass - for me it'll be the same as buying, say, a piano: completely different instrument for a different use.

But if I ended up sticking its wide-ass neck into the rock bassline format sometime, I wouldn't fault the instrument for stealing its little brother's parts.

6. Excellent assessment :) and thanks...I've got a couple more releases coming in the next few months. I tried to spread myself out a bit this year :)

jammadave get your hands on a GT7 and groove it brother :)