Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT7 vs BD7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Can you players of Conklin 7 stringers comment on the following for the Bill Dickens 7 vs the Groove Tools 7....

1: Does one cut throught the mix better than the other?

2: with the exception of the gold hardware and preamp, is there a BIG diff in tones, etc.....

These basses(GT7) seem like a very good price for 7 string bass, I am thinking of getting one still, but I was just looking at the BD7, and wondering if there is such a big diff to justify the price diff :meh:

please advise, and thank you much!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've owned several GT7s and they were all VERY good basses. I've never played one of the Dickens models but have heard from others (John Turner) that they are much better than the regular Groove Tools and are very similar to the custom shop models.. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but were I you, I'd probably spend the extra money and get the Dicken's model..

[​IMG]

3. I have to agree with Mark, the GT7 series are very good basses, especially for the price. I honestly prefer the Bill Dickens model, neck through and a Bartolini preamp; The GT model has the Mighty Mite preamp, which is alright but cannot compare to the Bartolini. If you have the extra cash buy the GTBD, but if you have a chance to A/B both, you should do it.

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    It llooks like the BD7 has many more controls that the GT7, and it sounds like you guys know from experience the diff between the two. thanks for sharing, I want a seven, but you know there are many makers of 7 string basses, and It seems like a lot people own Conklin 7 stringers so I would think that as far as people opinions go, the Conklins can hold their own against the competition, plus the prices seems A WHOLE CHEAPER... yes???

fwiw, I saw JT pics of his NINE Conklins, and man, I was just a bit Jealous :mad: (I believe thats a sin to be Jealous :smug: ) but I can blame JT, and his fine looking collection of 7 strings plus basses.

HEY J.T,,,do you actually cycle through all of those basses when you play?? or is one your main ax??

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think he's invented a contraption that looks like a huge Dixie Cup dispenser and whenever he wants a different bass he walks up and pulls another one out..

;) :D

6. Wouldn't that be great? Just pull out another bass when your old one gets boring... :smug:

Anyway, back to topic. I don't personally own any of the Groove Tools, but I know many who do, and tried both. They all said that the BD model was worth the extra buck.

7. I've had em both and still own the BD7. It's FAR more flexible in the palette of tones you can dial in ~ and it feels different, sort of comparable to the Conklin customs. If you get the opportunity to A|B both of them, it won't take you long to feel/hear/taste the difference. The Bart pre (as mentioned earlier) is a pretty huge difference alone. The BD7 is definitely "mightier". Oh also, the BD7 is neck-through, so the high notes are a little more comfortable.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh thanks fire-starter :) i use various instruments, depending on the song. i'm using my 8's a lot more lately with a bass and drums only project i've been working on.

as for the bd7 vs gt7, i'd say the bd any day. on top of the reasons already mentioned, the bd has a narrower neck, with slightly tighter spacing at the nut, so it'll be easier to play, imo. i like the tighter spacings since i have fairly small fingers.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    sorry to drag up an old thread but i just picked up an older gt7. did they come with preamps ? also, whose pups are in there ?

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    As far as I know there has been only one model of the GT-7... There were some changes made to the 4 and 5 string models...

The standard GT-7s come with a Mighty Mite 2 band preamp and Bartolini pups..

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    thanks Mark. How does that oem preamp sound ?

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It sounded ok (to me).. Swapping it out for something like an Aguilar or Duncan (as I did with the fretless GT-7 I had) will greatly improve its tone / sound..