Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin GT7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Jan 27, 2002.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    today i was at guitar center ([​IMG]) and played the Conklin GT-7 while i waited for my amp...

it was really akward to play at first but once i got used to the shape and feel of the body (not to mention the neck) it felt ok. i was suprised with how guitar-ish it sounded when i applied my limited guitar knowlege. i played some chords on the upper strings and it sounded pretty cool.

i guess in all of this im asking:

when i was playing the 7 it felt really akward, and i dont think i could ever really get used to it, but i feel 4 strings isnt cutting it. so on to six... do they make a six string? is the string spacing similar to the 7? how about neck size?

thanks
    chad :)

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, bill conklin was about to do a groove tools marco mendoza sig. bass, but it didn't work out. if you want a conklin six-banger, you're going to have to go custom. they have some photos of the bass that bill built for marco on his website, if you want to check it out. awesome looking bass with a contoured body-the string spacing is kinda tight, imo. but, he would be glad to build one exactly like it if you ask him. i talked to him about it a couple months ago, and he's an extremely nice guy, as many others can attest to. anyway, though, there are no production conklin 6-stringers. sorry.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i dont have enough money for custom... i wish i did though. then i could get rid of that ugly input jack lock. :cool:

thanks

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the Neutrik locking jack. I wish more basses had it. I wish my basses had it.

5. The input jack lock is ugly until your cable pops out and you blow your tweeter, requiring a new $50 diaphragm. Then, you thing it's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.

6. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Who is it...John Davis into the Conklin Customs?..somebody like that...somebody care to confirm that?:confused:

7. embellisher

John Davis might be FAIK, but I think the member that you may be thinking about is john turner.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Conklin Guitars <---Clickety clickety...

I have a GT-7, I love it. I get a wide variety of tones, lots of range (obviously). I got used to it really quickly. They do make a fiver, but it may have different Pups than the GT-7, with the Barts. I wish I had locking jacks on all my basses too.

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    no i think the locking jack is a REALLY good idea, but i dont think they need do make it stick out like it does.

10. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    John Turner..there you go

11. I think that the locking jack is a good idea. I just don't understand this. If you walk too far, won't the cord just come out at the other end (at your amp?) Isn't this just as bad? My amp doesn't have a locking jack, I don't know about others.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I believe the advantage of if the cord does come out it comes out of the amp it will most likely come out cleanly & not pose as much risk of blowing a tweeter or that infuriating buzz. Want to find out for yourself? Plug a cord into your input of your amp. Now do the same thing but plug the cord only into your bass or put it about half way into the input of your amp. Notice the difference :D BTW on a conklin 6-it'd be nice but if you're looking for a stock/production 6 have to look else where-Yamaha, Ibanez [i can't believe i said that ;) ] , Warwick [i think],Dean & i'm sure more makers make a 6 but thats all i can think of thats all.

13. The locking input jack is well worth it. Easiest thing to do is yank it outta the bass buy stepping on the cord. It'll happen if you forget to loop it around the lower strap button also. Plus I think it looks cool because it serves a great function. When It comes to basses, form should follow function. I'll play an ugly bass that kicks ass any day.....and I do....doh.

14. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    you look like pnut...

15. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    What is this FAIK?

16. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC

[homer voice]
    but i want conklin! ::shakes hands up and down::
    [/homer voice]

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    easy solution - loop your cord inside your strap before plugging it into your bass, and thru a rack handle before plugging it into your amp. i've almost fallen on my ass when i ran out of cord, but i've never unplugged myself.

jason

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    For All I Know.

I think.

19. mind your own FAIK'n business

20. embellisher

Yep. That's what it stands for.