Conklin GTBD-7 Bill Dickens Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kraig99, Jul 23, 2002.

1. I love the look of these and have heard great reviews of them. However, I've been scared away from extended range basses because of tight string spacing. How tight is the string spacing on this model? Thanks!
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I have two GT-7's, the bolt-on models. I'm pretty sure I recall that the Dickens model string spacing is tighter at the nut but wider at the bridge than the GT-7. I've e-mailed Conklin asking the question about the spacing of both; I'll post the answer here when I get it.

In any event, the spacing is "tight". Nothing like a P or even a J. Slapping is certainly going to be a bit trickier on one of these! But I'd be willing to bet that's one of the reasons Mr. Dickens wanted his signature model bridge a little wider.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey Kraig99. I have a Bill Dickens model 7-string, and the spacing is indeed pretty tight. The B string to the high F string measure out at 3 3/4" at the bridge, leaving about 5/8" inbetween each string at the bridge. The width at the nut is around 2" or so, so the spacing narrows down a lot as it goes towards the headstock. I prefer this, because it's not difficult for me to play in the lower registers.

It is pretty difficult for me to slap on this bass, but that's only me. If you watch the two new Bill Dickens videos, he goes apesh"t with his slapping, so it's pretty obvious that it can be done. His fingers are fairly thick, too, so if you have thinner or smaller fingers it will probably be easier for you to slap. Just finished recording some silly jam cds with it and you can get a lot of range out of it.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    From Mr. Conklin himself:

"The GT-7 has a string spacing at the nut of approximately 9mm and at the bridge of about 16-16.5mm.

The GTBD-7 has a string spacing of about 7mm at the nut and the same spacing at the heel as the GT-7.

The spacings are center to center."

So I was right about the narrower nut, but the bridge spacing is the same. Compare this to a standard Fender 4-string bridge which has 19mm bridge spacing.

Maybe someone out there knows what the nut spacings are for P and J basses? My best guesses are P - 12mm (1-5/8" nut width), and J - 11mm (1-1/2" nut width). Both way wider than 7 and 9!
  5. Thanks for the info guys!
  6. ronald cardenas

ronald cardenas

Jul 3, 2016
    what material is the bridge