Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin Hollowbody 7 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Jun 12, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Gonna go ahead and start this one..

I have more pics and ( hopefully ) sound clips coming soon.. But for now, here are the complete specs for my new hollowbody Sidewinder 7 string..

Full specs:

Hollowbody Sidewinder 7
    Carved Burl Redwood Top
    Dragonwood sides and back
    Maple / Purpleheart neck
    Birds eye maple fretboard
    Rybski custom pups
    Piezo bridge
    Bartolini NTMB-3 3 band EQ
    MPB-2 magnetic/piezo blend.

There are sound holes cut in the back of the upper horn.. This bass also has a "misted" clearcoat finish that gives the feeling of
    unfinished wood..

Here's the pic I've been posting thus far.. I'll get more soon.

[​IMG]

I love it!!! It's entirely different from anything I've played before!! As I said, I'll get something a little more in depth up when I can wipe this silly grin off my face!! :D

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    A new thread an no new pics!!!!!

Damn, that's cruel!!!

:spit:

JP

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    They're coming.. I took some last night, but I need to crop and upload them.. I was wanting to take some outdoor shots, but the weather hasn't been cooperating.

Anyway can I convince one of our friendly neighborhood mods to delete all the off-topic posts from my DP Custom thread?

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...I have a feeling a certain Pinhead-ed one will be stopping in to voice his jealous rage soon...

;)

:D

5. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Hey Gard... nice meeting you yesterday! :)

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Oh...

I'm curious about that ;)

Peace, JP

7. Man, if you hadn't said it was a hollowbody, I'd have thought that Conklin had a thyroid problem!!:D

It is a beauty, and I love the finish in that pic!

I'm interested in how you compare this to your solid body Conklins; i.e. weight, playability (with the deeper body), tone difference, feel of the body vibrations while playing, all of it!

I've always thought that a solid body seven would be too heavy for me, just with additional neck weight let alone the big Conklin body. I played a couple of JT's eights, and I imagined a few hours with them would just about kill me!! :eek:

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no jealousy - i'm totally happy for mark. i've played that bass and it rocks the house. i guess this means i need to place an order. :D

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Forgot to ask...

PZ, do you play the 7 with a low #F or with a high F ???

I think JT uses low #F. Just curious.

JP, more and more thinking of a 7 :D

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very beautiful bass!!
    If I could find a way to order a 5 without see or hear anything...:bag:

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have basses with both configurations..

I have two fretted and a fretless ( GT-7 ) bass(es) that are tuned low B to high F.. These being the one pictured above, my purpleheart solidbody, and the GT-7 fretless..

I also have a GT-7 fretted that's tuned low F# to high C.

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks for you reply PZ. I guess i'll have some more questions for you ;)

I gotta plan things out for when my first 7 commission will happen :D

I haven't found the thread about the #F strings use yet. Still searching for it.

Which do you prefer??

Peace, JP

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Do you mean which brand of strings do I prefer, or do I prefer my sevens strung with a low F# or a high F?

I'll go ahead and answer both..

I really like the Conklin Snakeskins line of strings, but I've also used the Dean Markley SR2000 line and really like them too, and they're a little cheaper ( Hey, when you have 4 seven strings and an eight on the way.. It can get expensive!!). The low F# I put on my GT-7 I ordered directly from Conklin, but you can also get them from places like Just Strings..

I like both the F# and the f.. However I find myself utilizing the high F more than the low.. The low F# is not something I ride.. I use it more to get "stunt" notes... Most time pairing the low note with one an octave higher to get that "POW" effect... to emphasize whatever portion of music Im playing at the time ( usually very dynamic parts such as transitions, etc...).. The high F I use very regularly for chording, tapping, and harmonics...

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Just what I wanted to know :D

thanks a lot for answering! I think I would also be leaning towards the high F a bit more than the low #F

Peace, JP

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    since jp asked, i'll mention that my main tuning is b-e-a-d-g-b-e , and i also use f#-b-e-a-d-g-c (the instrumental in my sig) and my 8's are f#-b-e-a-d-g-b-e. one of my 7's is tuned e-a-d-g-c-e-a, but i don't play that one too much.

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks JT!

JP

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

hows the balance with it being semi hollow, whats the price tag on this one

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    M-O-U-S-E!

:p

Sweet bass, Prog! I think that takes second in my fave Conklin Hollowbody 7 string. JT's white fretless is still top bod, though.

19. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Do you also play guitar? If not, what made you want to use gamba/guitar style tuning? I've always found that the skip in symmetrical fourths tuning gives most bass players fits if they don't also play guitar haha. I can definately see the benefits of using that tuning when having an extended upper range, just wondering what your thinking on it was.

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    His "Wedding Bass"?? Yeah that one is a beaut!!