Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin inputs ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D'yer Mak'er, Feb 15, 2005.

1. http://www.conklinguitars.com/facebass/index.html

I was looking at those basses, but I'm confused as to what the inputs are. Some have a MIDI device, otherwise they all seem to have two inputs, one behind the bridge and another down farther that's bigger for some reason. Can someone explain this please?? I can't find anything on the site.

2. Some have dual outputs for magnetic and piezo signals. Maybe if you could point us to a certain picture, we could be of more help.

3. OK, I see what you might be thinking of. The "input" located where the strap button usually is, is where you hook up the recessed straplock. It's a Dunlop design.

The magnetic signal is what comes from the pickups. The piezo signal is what comes from piezo transducers located in the bridge where the saddles normally are. They emulate an acoustic sound and can be split to a different output if the customer chooses. That's why you see two different 1/4" outputs sometimes.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sometimes the pickups are split to two different outputs also. al caldwell had conklin build him a bass with a guitar pickup as well as two bass pickups, and the guitar pickup had its own output - i think that's the same setup he now has on one of his benevente instruments.

on my conklins i have a bunch of different setups - quarter inch alone with the locking jack, quarter inch and 7 pin output with a different signal channel for each string (old pre-rmc piezo setup) on two of my basses, and the rmc piezo/synth setup, which a lot of folks call midi, but isn't strictly the midi standard. it's the roland guitarsynth standard, with 13 pin output that has to go to a roland-compatible synth brain. both my 8 strings and both my hollow bodies have that setup. that's also the setup that is in the picture that you posted - not specifically midi, which is a 5 pin connector, but similar. many builders just call it "midi" for ease of communication.