Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin,Lightwave,7 strings and the lack there of.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VS, Jul 5, 2002.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'm wondering why Conklin hasn't gone through with making the Lightwave technology available in a 7 string model. This seems peculiar to me,seeing as though they are 7 string masters. Anyone know if they are planning on stepping up to such? Thanks
    -Luke

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've spoken with Chris at Lightwave on this several times and because of lack of request and the R&Dthat would have to go into it,at this point it wouldn't be worth the time,and I hope Im not sounding negative.plus how many Lightwave systems have you seen for 6 string Basses?

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Essentially, they don't make lightwave bridges for 7 strings. I've only seen about 3 6 strings with them. The sensors aren't individual, they come as a whole bridge. Lightwave hasn't developed the 7 string model because of, like Jauqo said, the lack of interest. It really has nothing to do with Conklin.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, the only Lightwave setup you can get are the individual monorails for each string. They call it their "Integrated Monolithic Bridge/Pickup System." So, there aren't going to be any more complete one-piece bridge models available.

Also, the electronics are currently only designed to handle up to 6 strings as it only has six-channels on the motherboard.

Here's the current monorail system:

[​IMG]

I'll be having a custom 6 made by Curbow in the next year that will have the Lightwave system. I can't wait.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that is true.

the "monoliths" are individual bridge assemblies, as the name implies.

with that, any number of strings could be accomodated.

however, as bassmonkee mentioned, the electronics (pc board) is laid out for a maximum of 6 strings.

at least for the time being.

express your desire to the folks at Lightwave. if enough want it....who knows.

f

6. Chambers

Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    I belive the motherboard that interfaces with the bridge only supports 6 input channels, hence the limitations to 6 strings. The same motherboard is used in all the lightwave basses, regardless. Just use less bridge peices. The older series 1 were a solid bridge, the monoliths were the series2 revision.

7. I have technical drawings for 7 and 8-string Lightwave pickup configurations. Just e-mail them and they'll send 'em to you.

I'm still hoping to get a lightwave 7-string someday. Or at least a 6. An 8 might be cool too. Or 9 ... :D

I played a Lightwave MTD fretless at NAMM a while back. It was one of the best sounding instruments I've ever heard.

- Dave

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    anything more than a 6 string lightwave is an electronics issue.

sure, you can layout 7 or more monoliths on a bass at the proper string angles, but, if the electronics don't support it, what's the point?

unless, you know something i don't.

which, of course, is entirely likely.

let's talk off-line.

urp.

f

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It wouldn't be to much of an issue if you were to go higher in range like high F to high Bb remember they do make a system for electric guitars.the Lightwave system can produce pretty descent low freq's as well but me and chris did discuss a Low F# but the problem was having a opening that would allow the thickness of that particular gauge to fit thru.

10. They're the ones who did the tech drawings for the 7 and 8-string layout so hopefully they can support it. They may just use 2 6-string electronics setups.

- Dave

11. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Dave: that's exactly right.

its just a question of how to package 2 electronics packages efficiently.

f

12. You can always make the instrument bigger. ;)

Seriously though. I think that one of the reasons why the Trey Gunn model Warr Guitar is a lot bigger than their standard models.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Dave

13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    true:

but, currently, you'd need to house 2 of all the Lightwave electronics.

battery pack, both PC boards, etc...

unwiedly, to say the least.

stay tuned...alternatives abound.

shhhhhhhhhh.................

f

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    by the way...

King Crimson RULES!

saw them in 1973, 1980 and 1995!!!!

perfect shows, all.

f

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh! Okok, half right. So not the bridge that's the fault, just the capacity of the motherboard. Sad, because I remember reading that before. Sorry about that!