Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin New Century basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-freq, Jun 22, 2004.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Has anyone tried these (especially a five string)?

I'm interested in any or all the details anyone can give (including weight & esp. pups and electronics).

The website doesn't have a lot of info.

Thanks.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Best way to find out is go to the source.. Just give Bill Conklin a call or shoot him an email.. Plus the Conklin website has a breakdown of the features of the New Century line..

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    From the Conklin New Century page:

All of the following Sidewinder bass models feature Swamp Ash bodies, 2 Bartolini soapbar pickups, volume, blend & tone controls, Straplok system, locking input jack, Hipshot bridges and tuners. "Off-sides" dot inlays Satin Chrome hardware and clear satin finish, 24 fret Multi-laminate bolt-on necks with tilt-back headstocks and 34" scale fingerboards, (4-string basses feature a 3 piece Maple neck, 5-string basses feature 5 piece Maple/Purpleheart necks. 6 & 7 string basses feature 7 pc. Maple/Purpleheart necks.)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i own one of the older prototypes for the line - it's pretty light, mahogany body i think, might be cherrywood, with a great pickup/preamp combo, although they have definitely changed (lane poor pickups and seymour duncan pre). i've also had bill build me a custom neck to replace the old one (fretless instead of fretted, with a different board) so it's not really original anymore.

the new century instruments are a great bridge between the customs and the groove tools. they are still made by the guys in missouri but they have limited options available for customisation which helps keep the prices down somewhat.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks guys.

jt, it that light compared to one of your 7 strings?

I currently have a StingRay 5 that's is a little on the heavy side. I like the solid low end, but by the fourth set I'm wishing for a lighter bass.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've never gigged with a Stingray, but have quite extensively with my Conklins and they're so well balanced I don't feel fatigued at all despite the weight. And that's saying a lot since I have a "rebuilt" hip joint and nerve damage in my right leg..