Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin New Century Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Feb 6, 2002.

1. I just noticed these on the new home page on the Conklin website. Has anybody here played them? They are a good deal less expensive than the custom shop models, yet it claims that they are basically the same, save the option that can be added to the bass. If anyone knows of why the large price difference exists I would be interested. I am really opposed to spending that much money on a bass, given the terrible exchange rate, but these basses are quite a bit more reasonable. A similarily spec'd custom shop Conklin was about $4900 versus $3400 for the new century series. While they are both REALLY expensive (but worth it I am sure), there has to be something significant that drops the price by $1500.

Thanks
    Geoff

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Conklin New Century series is built by the same team that builds the custom jobbies. The difference is that they have more uniform specs. Because their construction methods and specs are standardized, the time required to build the bass is reduced. That affects the overall cost of the instrument. I'm sure other factors come into play, but that's one of the big ones.

I'm sure JT will poke his head in here sooner or later. I wonder if he (or anyone besides Bill Conklin knows how the Conklin serial # system works.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    BW pretty much hit the nail on the head. bill's aiming for a middle ground between the groovetools and the custom pieces.

as for the serial numbers, i think he had a seperate set for each string config. i know that he numbered the 7 strings - i've got #6 and #16, and i know that he stopped somewhere around #40.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    the serial number on mine starts with an 80 and has three more digits. Is this a different method?

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ??

wow. that's new to me. it might be the date it was made - 8/0x/xx - without the slashes.

hmm.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :confused:

i thought the new century series has been around for awhile...

7. Could be, I only just noticed them, though.

Geoff