1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Conklin Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Feb 25, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, if you want a 7 string, you're going to have to wait for the lightwaves, cuz they only support up to 6 strings right now. the ice control is a tone control - it's not a piezo pickup but it sounds a bit like it.

i like your selection of bassists - quite a few of them i like as well, and were big inspirations for my tone.

if you have a decent internet connection, download the link in my sig. it's a 12 minute instrumental, around 12 meg - it's a big download, but the bass is featured pretty prominently in it. give it a listen and see how you like the tone.

the bass i play in it is this one...

cnkfrt1.jpg

i really like the tonal diversity i can get on this bass, but unfortunately the pickups are lane poors, which are not available anymore. don't worry, though, there are a lot of pickup options available, including custom pickups. i'll get to that in a minute

you would probably like the spacing i get on my basses - tighter spacing, more like a jazz bass. if you were to tell bill that you wanted the spacing tighter like on my basses, he would know what you are talking about, and i think that would be what you would want, from what you've said.

i would suggest that you try out, if you can some time, a well setup g&l 2000 or 2500. these basses sound really cool, and if you like the setup, with the dual exposed pole humbuckers, you might like my next idea, which is to get bill to make you a 7 string g&l style bass.

this bass would have 2 exposed pole humbuckers - like music man pickups, like the ones in these basses...

8strfretless.jpg 8strfretted.jpg

these were custom made for me by seymour duncan and they are _awesome_.

have 2 of these pickups - neck and bridge, have 3 way switches for each one (single/series/humbucker) have a 3 band eq, preferably the seymour duncan basslines eq, have the RMC synth/piezo bridge, so that you can play synth w/ the bass along with piezos and magnetics. pickup blend knob, piezo-mag blend knob, and the RMC controls (2 switches and synth vol) complete the pic.

go for a birdseye maple or flame maple fretboard - very snappy. have a gloss finish put on it to make it even snappier and pluckier. have the neck made of wenge and purple heart, and have the body wood made of either maple or cherry. for a top, the sky's the limit - you can put all kinds of different wood combinations together - check out conklin guitars' home page. you can also check out my page, i have a few pretty cool instruments ;) you might see something you like there.

gold hardware, abm bridge with RMC piezo saddles, brass nut. wood binding on the neck, maybe even have the body melt extend into the fingerboard some.

_this_ is what i would have built. in fact, this is an idea that i've been having for a while. this thing could be set to be a very close approx of a jazz bass, with both humbuckers set to single coil, as well as get a cool humbucker sounds, deep bass as well as plucky, driving mids.

ooo, yummy. this is the bass _i_ would want.

2. geshel

geshel Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Another thing about the Lightwave is IIRC it cannot be on a bass wth magnetic pickups, due to the string pull that is inherent to magnetic pickups. Strange that this is not in the FAQ, but I have heard this several times from Lightwave owners.

Maybe Jeff Rader or Fred Hodshon can shed some light on this?

4. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    WOW OH WOW! I want those basses! All of them!
    Sorry about that.
    The .mp3 is amazing! I like the sound of the bass.
    All the different tones.... that is what I need really.
    The bass you describe sounds perfect actually.

The basses on your site are some great pieces of work. The Blood Bass, that double neck, and the sixth bass in from the left-hand side of the monitor are the basses that really catch my eye. Maybe it's the melted top....
    Well from the sound of it, I like the Blood Bass and if the bass described would sound anything like that, all I need to do is decide on fretted or not, and the string count and begin the gathering of the green. Why is it when you want something badly you never have money for it??
    Questions:
    1) How much do you think this will cost?
    2) Is the color of the hardware purely looks or does it play a role in the sound?
    3) Do top woods play a role in the sound or are they just for looks?

Again my thanks Mr. Turner, I was afraid that there wasn't going to be any help here. I want very badly to have a high end bass as an example to work from when I build my own. Then again, if this bass is as amazing as it sounds, I may not bother with building my own.....
    Many thanks to all of you!

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    geeze, sorry geshel :eek: i really thought that was just a "piezo emulator". well, there ya go, shows ya what i know.

sorry, man. :(

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, given my proven credibility re:lightwave :rolleyes: :D you might want to take this with a grain of salt, but when i discussed getting a lightwave built with bill conklin, and incorporating magnetics, he never said that that was not an option.

still, though i guess i should just shut up on the whole light wave topic, eh? :eek: :D

8. geshel

geshel Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I think what I've heard about Lightwave w/magnetics is: the magnetics have an effect on the strings, changing the sound and reducing sustain. This has been there all along. One of the claimed benefits of the LW is that without the magnetics you get better sound. So, I think the LW will work fine with mags (although I don't know if their preamp has aux-ins?), it just isn't as "pure" as a LW-only system.

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    JT, do I see fretlines on the last 12 or so "frets" on your fretless 8? Or is it just an optical illusion?

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, there are lines on the highest octave of the 3 octave neck. they are made of bubinga, so they blend in nicely with the rest of the fretboard.

11. I'd like to visit the Conklin shop sometime. It's only like a 4 hour drive or so from me, hehe.

I'm really interested in Bill's basses, but I really hope the bass price calculator on his site is broken. I tried to spec out a pretty basic custom 7-string last night and it came out to somewhere on the order of $5500. Then of course there's tax since I'm a Missouri resident! :eek:

Oh well, a guy can dream right?

12. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    hey, man...there's hope. i used that function on his site when i was looking into getting a custom six string. after talking with him personally, he quoted me about 1800 less than what the calculator gave me. and he's such a great guy. easy to talk with, and he always has new ideas to add to your _gas_. :D i dunno, it's like he's trying to create work for himself or something...heck, even go out of his way to satisfy a customer :eek: that's what impresses me most about his operation. and his basses are.....awesome, too ;)

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    so, are you going to do it? get a bass, i mean.

14. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    well......ohhhhh, man, i wanna ;) i had spec'd out what i thought would have been a pretty sweet six-contoured sidewinder body shape, a la marco mendoza (but smaller so it wouldn't look like i was wearing a surfboard-i'm only like 3 feet tall, ya know). i had picked tiger maple as a body wood with a stained lacewood top and a 7 piece wenge/purpleheart neck-with a swirly type figure purpleheart board (which i thought would compliment the grain of the lacewood perfectly). he even still has one of the old schaller bridges that he used to equip his older bases with, spaced at 19mm that i wanted to use. i was kinda stuck on a 3 band sd three band preamp with two soaps tilted back at the bridge, warwick thumb style, but i had also thought about a big ol' duncan exposed pole mm pickup-those things are _mean_. there were several things that were still kind of undecided-piezos, synth, triple coil or quad coil if i were to go with the mm pup, still trying to decide between the purpleheart board or birdseye (another wood that sounds great, compliments the lacewood nicely, and with the lacewood being stained, it would contrast nicely, as well.). obviously, you know there are so many things that are deciding factors in what is to be an awesome bass. but then i came across an _awesome_ deal on my curbow rockwood 6. so, after having just got the curbow , i may have to wait a little while. my wife thinks that basses are evil, or something :rolleyes: plus, until i find a gig or something up here, i'm just fiddling around in my room, so it's hard for me to justify to myself spending more money on another bass. but as soon as i do... :D