1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Conklin should make a GT6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 16, 2004.

1. I was messing around with a GT7 which is a really cool bass, but the 7 strings just messes with me. I'm not enough of a man to handle them :D - I just wish they offered a 6 string because I really like their body design and there is no way I could afford one of the custom 6ers.

mabey one of these days I will feel comfortable enough of a 7

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They do, or at least did last time I checked.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    GT-6??!!??

4. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No, 4, 5 & 7s are all they come in.. Hell, just bite the bullet and get the 7!!

5. If it really bothers you, leave a string off the 7!
    I'd rather get the 7 any day, I even added an extra string to mine.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    you're not man enough to handle a bass with just one more string? :eyebrow: be more optimistic, you'll surprise yourself ;)

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Didn't they at one point? Im almost positive I played one.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    It just leaves a gap....

9. one of these days I will probably just go for the 7 stringer, if I spend a few weeks playing it I would most likely adjust.

I just found it a little odd that conklin makes a 4, 5 and 7 but no 6.

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No production models... There was a "Mark Mendoza Signature 6 Groove Tools" but it never made it past the prototype stages..

11. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i oroginally wanted a 6 but then changed my mind to a 9. which i am ordering fairly soon i might add! just need a month for the down payment and say 8 years to pay off the rest. lol

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Nope, No Groove Tools 6'rs. I think I had heard that the volume they expected to sell on the 6 wasn't enough to justify the tooling costs.

You could get a 6 from the New Century line (http://www.conklinguitars.com/newcenturybassprices.html)which is kind of like a 'Standard' Conklin (the GT's are outsourced and made by another Company) with basic features and options in contrast to the full on "Pie-In-The-Sky" customs we've all come to know/love/envy/plot to steal.

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :eek:

**Goes and checks locks on doors!**

14. i thought the same way. i said t myself "god i love the conk, but i am unsure i can handle the extra string". well, needless to say last sunday i ordered my GT7 from bass central. it is yet to arrive, but trust me when i say you wont be upset. the extra string is no big deal.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    **pulls out book - "Lock-Picking for Drummers:eek: ... I mean Dummies :p **

16. Mark - I think your basses would not be an attractive option to steal, they are too well recognised in ERB circles...