Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin should make a GT6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 16, 2004.

1. I was messing around with a GT7 which is a really cool bass, but the 7 strings just messes with me. I'm not enough of a man to handle them :D - I just wish they offered a 6 string because I really like their body design and there is no way I could afford one of the custom 6ers.

mabey one of these days I will feel comfortable enough of a 7

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They do, or at least did last time I checked.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    GT-6??!!??

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No, 4, 5 & 7s are all they come in.. Hell, just bite the bullet and get the 7!!

5. If it really bothers you, leave a string off the 7!
    I'd rather get the 7 any day, I even added an extra string to mine.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    you're not man enough to handle a bass with just one more string? :eyebrow: be more optimistic, you'll surprise yourself ;)

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Didn't they at one point? Im almost positive I played one.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    It just leaves a gap....

9. one of these days I will probably just go for the 7 stringer, if I spend a few weeks playing it I would most likely adjust.

I just found it a little odd that conklin makes a 4, 5 and 7 but no 6.

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No production models... There was a "Mark Mendoza Signature 6 Groove Tools" but it never made it past the prototype stages..

11. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i oroginally wanted a 6 but then changed my mind to a 9. which i am ordering fairly soon i might add! just need a month for the down payment and say 8 years to pay off the rest. lol

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Nope, No Groove Tools 6'rs. I think I had heard that the volume they expected to sell on the 6 wasn't enough to justify the tooling costs.

You could get a 6 from the New Century line (http://www.conklinguitars.com/newcenturybassprices.html)which is kind of like a 'Standard' Conklin (the GT's are outsourced and made by another Company) with basic features and options in contrast to the full on "Pie-In-The-Sky" customs we've all come to know/love/envy/plot to steal.

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :eek:

**Goes and checks locks on doors!**

14. i thought the same way. i said t myself "god i love the conk, but i am unsure i can handle the extra string". well, needless to say last sunday i ordered my GT7 from bass central. it is yet to arrive, but trust me when i say you wont be upset. the extra string is no big deal.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    **pulls out book - "Lock-Picking for Drummers:eek: ... I mean Dummies :p **

16. Mark - I think your basses would not be an attractive option to steal, they are too well recognised in ERB circles...