1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

conklin snakeskins (taper question)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beebassdude, Mar 20, 2013.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    so i just got a kramer 650B, bass is awesome, but i use monster strings to tune to ADGC. the low A is a 166 from circle K, however the taper at the top isnt long enough, so the fat part the string starts wrapping too early, causing it to snap at the post. i know conklin makes gauges similar, but their website has next to nothing in terms of string design, scale length, etc. Anybody have information on exactly where their taper starts on their ERB string sets? let me know, if i can find the right A string ill end up buying 4 or 5 in bulk just to get this squared away.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've read that Snakeskins are just repackaged Dean Markley Super Rounds, so you can research those as well.

Check with Jason at www.bassstringsonline.com

3. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    man, i cannot find anything online about a lot of these bigger strings aside from circle K and conklin. SIT doesnt even seem to have their big strings listed (if they are even available anymore), la bella supposedly made a .155 that doesnt seem to exist online. bummer city.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    But wait, to early causing it to snap at the post... you mean they are too long so the full windings end to late (going around the post)...

The Conklin strings are 37.25" long I believe... If these are for a BeeBass you need 36.5" strings or 37" at most...

La Bella makes a .150 as their largest string... I have them in Super Steps, Nickel, and Stainless rounds... They don't make a .155 as far as I know...

5. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    hey man, i just placed an order with you for the La Bella, i sent you an email, just trying to figure out when itll ship.

im working with circle K to make a quicker taper at the top. and this is for a kramer 650B, not the Bee, no problems with the Bee bass at all. thanks!

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I just sent you one back...

Quicker taper at the top, so you want a shorter string? What is the length ball end to tuning post on your instrument?

7. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    im gonna measure exactly tonight. its a 34 scale length but the tuning peg is really close to the nut, so i need something that tapers right at like 34/35 and not 36/37, as that extra few inches causes the fat part of the string to wrap, and due to the small peg size it wraps to tight and snaps.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
  9. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

D'Addario doesnt make a 160 gauge string tho haha. ill figure it out, if i have to get a few custom ones made and spend money to do it, itll suck, but ill do it lol.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    If you really like the La Bella one let me know the exact spec you need and we can do something.

11. beebassdude

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    thanks dude, really appreciate it!

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Anytime!