1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Conklin Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 9, 2001.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay, so I get this new Conklin GT7. It's average for a bass costing $999, but I figured "I'm getting it at cost, the body and neck are nice, I can upgrade, fix, etc." It came with a rough fret job, high action, missing knob, but hope was not lost. It sounded bad ass (at the store, through a $2000 setup), so I took it.

Anyway, to the point of my query. I get it home and start jamming on it in my room. I was sitting at the computer and I heard this buzzing. Shut off the monitor, TV and computer. It stops. I guess it has a bad shielding or ground or both. And since the preamp is weak, I'm going to go all out and do something radical...

I want a Bartolini BTMB preamp. I have had no luck reaching Bartolini (Winter Break, I guess). I was wondering if anyone here may have had to do the same thing to their bass (re-shield, install preamp) whether it be a Conklin or another bass with the 4 hole setup. Did it help? How much did it cost? How long did it take? Where am I? What am I doing here?

Peace people...