Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 9, 2001.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay, so I get this new Conklin GT7. It's average for a bass costing $999, but I figured "I'm getting it at cost, the body and neck are nice, I can upgrade, fix, etc." It came with a rough fret job, high action, missing knob, but hope was not lost. It sounded bad ass (at the store, through a $2000 setup), so I took it.

Anyway, to the point of my query. I get it home and start jamming on it in my room. I was sitting at the computer and I heard this buzzing. Shut off the monitor, TV and computer. It stops. I guess it has a bad shielding or ground or both. And since the preamp is weak, I'm going to go all out and do something radical...

I want a Bartolini BTMB preamp. I have had no luck reaching Bartolini (Winter Break, I guess). I was wondering if anyone here may have had to do the same thing to their bass (re-shield, install preamp) whether it be a Conklin or another bass with the 4 hole setup. Did it help? How much did it cost? How long did it take? Where am I? What am I doing here?

Peace people...