Conklin vs Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Ok so some have you might remember the thread I posted "Carvin vs Conklin" debating on which to look into and if there were any significant quality/sound/playability/etc differences in the two. So I am still searching for the right 6er and perferably something custom, but I really can't wanna spend $5000+ on a I found Roscoe. Seems like a quality company, with the beauty, but not he price of Conklin. Any feedback from Roscoe owners? How much do you love your bass? Anyone have/played both a Conklin AND a Roscoe? How do they compare? Thanks guys.
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I don't own one but have played several Roscoe basses. They're excellent!!

Incidentally I own two Conklins which are not shabby basses either. However, as you pointed out they are expensive. Don't think you'd be disappointed in getting the Roscoe.
  3. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, if you want custom, why not stambaugh or fbb custom? you could get a 6-er for less than 2,500 easy.
  4. My pal has a Roscoe 6 and i have a Conklin Groove Tools 7 that i got from here. (traded and 05 warwick thumb 5, bolt on for it, after seeing Chris Pottinger playing his bill the buddah dickens bass, on Anthony Hamilton's live dvd concert)

My pal is a very gifted gospel musician (bass and guitar come very easy too him, has a great ear, can transcribe the sound of a quarter falling on the floor with his instrument if he wanted to, etc) and we compare the Roscoe to the Conklin all the time and the only difference that i can tell is the midrange between the two instruments.

We run it through the david eden wt-400 or sometimes i bring up my eden wt-330.
  5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    The only Conklin that I've played for any extended time was a 5 string Groove Tools import model that I had in for some repairs. It was a decent playing instrument but unfortunately had some fret leveling problems. The sound was average but not overly impressive. Of course I'm sure that it wouldn't compare to the hand made Conklin basses but I would think that the neck would feel somewhat similar and they would at least attemp to go for a sound close to the real deal. That having been said, I can comment on the Roscoe 5 & 6 string basses. First of all, I wouldn't consider a Roscoe a compromise to ANY bass made. IMO it's the best playing and sounding bass out there reguardless of price. Granted, it's just my opinion, but I have owned and played just about everything out there. Roscoe's have a very distinct sound but they still can tune in just about any sound that you can imagine. Varying the the pre (Demeter, Aguilar or Bart) along with the countless wood choices, will get you the sound you're looking for. That I can say with confidence. And by the way, of all of the 6 string basses that I've played, the Roscoe's 6 string is clearly the best playing. You really need to get one to play. That's the only way to make a quality decision.;)
  6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    +1. Roscoe's are very solid, excellent sounding basses at any price. You should check out if there are any Roscoe dealers in your area and try one out for yourself, you'll be very glad you did. That being said Stambaugh and FBB are two other quality choices in this price range.

7. Gard hasn't replied to this yet?

Watcha doin' bro - makin' basses? :D
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, recovering from a bout with bronchitis.... :spit:

...and,'d be kinda difficult for me to comment in an objective fashion here. ;)

I will say that I have a lot of respect for the work Bill Conklin does, and that he and Keith are old friends.

If anyone has a specific question about Roscoe, they are always free to PM or e-mail me.

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Conklins are very nice basses, but they are justnot my cup of tea. They are up there with the Roscoe, Fodera, Zon, Elrick, F Bass, MTD, etc... but I don't find them appealing to me. It's been a long time since I've played one, but I'm not looking at them either any more.

I will have a Roscoe SKB-3006 for sale within the next few months. Probably between April- June. The only reason I'm selling it is because I really don't use the C string, and I'm going to have a new Roscoe 5 string made for me. I just love my Roscoes. Tone, feel, looks, variability are all wonderful.

Here's a pic of the bass I'll eventually sell. It now has the Demeter Preamp that I had Keith retrofit for me after I took the pictures.

Attached Files:

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Oops! The body shot didn't upload. Here it is:

Attached Files:

11. Thanks everyone for your replies...JOME, yours was extremely actually gave me goosebumps reading your post, I reallly want a Roscoe now! Bassmanbob--your bass is beautiful!! How much are you going to want for it? And 1 question for Gard- What is the standard string spacing at the bridge of your 6er's? Do I have an option to change it?
  12. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    Owner: Bass Direct
    +++1 on the Roscoe. I have been converted by these basses, they compare to any of the v.expensive basses I have tried/owned. You need to try one yourself - it might not be for you, but it could be the best choice you ever made!:hyper:
  13. Definately a +1 for the roscoe, ive had custom conklin and a roscoe....the conklin cost a huge chunk more then the roscoe but overall i liked the feel and sound of the roscoe better
  14. GIMME AN "R"...GIMME AN "O"...

I'll log a vote for the Roscoe...

I have a thread around here with some pics of mine I think...

15. I own 2 Conklin customs (well, used to own 2, I sold the fretless), and one Conklin Groove Tools. All 5-string.

I've never owned a Roscoe, but I've played several.

With that being said: ROSCOE!

I love my Conklins, and think they are great instruments. They are also ridiculously overpriced. Ridiculously. The absolute base price for a bolt-on 5-string is $3800. Once all is said and done, most are easily into the upper $4k range. My fretted also has some finish problems I'm not happy with, mainly the pickup routing is very sloppy. Also, there is a knot or something in the Korina body. For that price, I'd prefer no knots, thank you. Make no mistake, the playability and sounds are superb, however!

The Roscoes are a great value, AND are better basses, IMHO. They sound fantastic, every one I've seen has fit and finish, sound, and playability leaps and bounds over most (if not all) other instruments. My next bass may very well be a Roscoe.

As always, just my $.02!!! :)
  16. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL