Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Nov 19, 2004.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    what is the price range for conklins?
    ive been told they arent as expensive as they could be

are they good they seem popular

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, how many strings are you looking for. They have a price list at www.conklinguitars.com and are sold new on musicians friend. Ebay has a few used.

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Oh Sorry.....

4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    A bass with over 7 strings can go way beyond 4000$.

5. The Groove Tools line is pretty affordable. Musician's Friend carries them as does many other places. They come in 4, 5, and 7 string models....

The Custom Conklins are not so affordable. Worth the money IMHO, but not so affordable. You're looking at around $3800 for a basic bolt-on 5-string. The price just goes up and up from there based on design and options requested (i.e. John Turner).

Remember, you DO get what you pay for!

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Any word on yours??

7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Some, the bass has now physical existance, neck blank milled and to be glued. :p

Specs so far

the modified sidewinder is a go

maple/purp neck 24 frets bubinga OR maple board (it was bubinga but lately I'm falling in love with maple all over again, a jazz bass being the culprite :meh: )

Dragonwood body with figured maple top (altough also brought the spanish cedar and cherry to the talk but likely not)

32-35 fan

9 strings spaced 18 mm @ bridge

3 band eq w/ Bart nmtb preamp

Black hardware

Mark, your opinion and everybody's is most welcome as always! :help:

8. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sounds like it'll be a gem!!! :hyper:

I would recommend a cherry body. My spalt 8 has one and it's a growling tone monster!!

9. are there any dealers for conklins? i didnt see a dealer link on their page but ya never know!

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I wonder why Conk doesnt do a GT6, I'd hit it...

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Only for the Groove Tools series.. Everything else has to go through Bill.

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Just get a 7!!

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I cant handle 7! I'm alreayd still struggling with 6 and fretless at the same time :p but yeah I know if i got one I'd get used to it but I don't see much the point.. my comfort level pretty much starts at 4 and ends at 6 excluding 5.... :rollno:

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :eyebrow:

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My thoughts exactly. I don't know how a 6 is easier to play than a 5 if you are used to a 4, but some people really do think a bit differently. One of these days I'll go beyond 5 strings, and I'm forever torn about whether to go for a 6 or 7.. I have a feeling it will end up being a 7 though.

16. wouldnt happen to know where said dealers are would you?

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Musician's Friend sells them. Some turn up used on eBay which is usually the best wat to go with these.

18. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I know it's pretty odd but theres something that just makes me feel weird when I play a five. I just can't seem to get comfortable on them. I'm such a drok :rolleyes:

19. lowkahuna

lowkahuna

Nov 25, 2004
    Check the Conklin Guitars website, specifically the Groove Tools homepage, for a listing of Conklin dealers.

If you can play a 6-string bass, you can play a Conklin 7-string! Conklin's necks are thin, due in part to the use of very stiff, hard woods in the neck, such as purpleheart and wenge. You need to get your hands on one to be convinced.

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    From the Conklin website:

Groove Tools are available at the following fine strores;

Guitar Centers Nationwide, Manny's NYC, Victor's House of Music Paramus NJ, Bass Central Orlando FL, Bass Alone San Diego, Bass Northwest Seattle WA, River City Music Vancouver WA, Sluggo Music Tacoma WA Apple Music Portland OR, Weather's Music Salem OR, Musician's Network Chicago IL, Ponier Music Marietta GA, Red Barn Music West Union OH, Retro Music Keene NH, Royal Music Center Royal Oak MI, Victor Music Exchange Quakertown PA, Leitz Music Fort Walton Beach FL, Modern Music Ft. Lauderdale FL, and Music Go Round locations in Greenfield WI, Glen Burnie MD, Phoenix AZ, Arlington Heights IL, Chicago IL and Independence MO. Call 1-800-257-2678 to locate a dealer near you. Or see our ads in Bass Player magazine.
    Now available through Musician's Friend catalog or online at www.musiciansfriend.com and the Guitar Center website www.musician.com as well as www.bassalone.com www.basscentral.com and others.