Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Aug 10, 2000.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    After playing practically every bassin guitar center i have come to a conclusion on what to get... I wanted a warwick.. I played a warwick. my mind changed. I wanted a Ibanez edc.. i played it .. i changed my mind yet once again. then i went through the same process with everything from an ibanez edb600 to a modulus 5 string.. and the only bass i never even though once about getting... a Conklin Gt7. i fell in love i had never had any intentions to even play one, but i thought why not a 7? and plugged it in it in and the next thing i knew i was lookin for a job hehe :) but everything else sounded bad to me and felt very uncormfortable. the gt7 felt like it was made for me. :) when i get it ill be the only sophmore at my school with a good bass , and in the whole school for that matter hehe well thanks for listening to me.. you can reply if you want and tell me anything i might need to know or just to see whats up, or im me, see ya.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh you like the Modulus better and you know it. :D

BUTTTT, wrong thread there buddy. Try "basses."

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    go for it. i've been playing custom conklin 7 and 8 strings for the past 7 years. the only way to fly.

check'em out...

http://lordonly.net/lotxtjt1.html

good luck, i wish there were 7 string basses available to me when i was a sophmore in high school

and angus {shakes finger} behave yourself !!! don't make me get the paddle! :)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I agree that if you like it and it suits you then go for it - I had a long break from playing bass and when I started looking for an instrument, I could only find 6-strings that I like.

But (you knew there would be a but didn't you, but you did ask!)you should be aware that playing something like that will lead to people having expectations of how you will play and they will feel free to make comments about how "flashy" or "showy" you must be to play something like that!

Play a Fender and nobody will pre-judge you - they might ignore you, which you might feel is worse. But play a 7-string bass and people will expect a lot. That is : to be impressed, that you must be a very good player who plays a lot of notes, that you are a frustrated guitarist (I'm suprised that John didn't mention this one! ;))that you are only showing off - etc, etc. I'm sure you can imagine.

So before you take it out in public, have your playing how you want it and have your arguments ready about why you need it or why you prefer it and why you don't care that 4 strings was enough for Jaco - or substitute whatever bass hero you like here!

Oh and you will need to have good muting technique to stop all the strings that you aren't playing, from resonating sympathetically and making the whole thing sound like a muddy mess!

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bruce is definitely right about people's pre-conceived notions, but hey, there's an easy way to fight that, i've found - practice. kick a$$ on it, and if people accuse you of wanting to solo all the time or being some kind of wanker just because of the instrument you play, tell them that they are being stupid and provincial. that always works for me. :D

prove your worth with your skill, not your bass. people might have initial reactions to you, but what they remember will be based on what they hear, not what they see.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I wasnt being a bad Angus! I was just telling him, in a friendly matter! Hence, "buddy"! :eek: Im not a bad boy!

And yes, stating on a Conklin 7 would sure get you attention, and preconcieved expectations, but ignore them! I think it would be cool to start with a 7! All that range...beautiful. Wish i had started on one.

7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Hey again.. thanks for all the info yeah the modulus was alright. but that conklin grabbed me... ill be practicing it alot but were talking about 2 months fromt he day i get my job that i will get the 7 but i swear i will get it :).. but if anyone wants to email me and talk my email address is XxiplaybassxX@aol.com so drop me a line... i am all for meeting new people

see ya

p.s. i didnt realize i had posted it in the wrong section until after it was posted lol and thanks again for the info. :)

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    wow john those are awesome basses! :) thanks for the advice john and everyone else.. thanks for the fair warnings too on what to expect for having a great bass :) but i guess the bass is only as good as the player.. and i will be really good.. hopefully hehe but thanks again all of you

nakoa
    xxiplaybassxx@aol.com

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Modulus was only ALRIGHT?! ::breaks down and cries::

Yeah, if you get the Conklin (pppssssshhhhhh....) youll be needing to practice alright! But what a cool instrument. Good luck!

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's ok angus...someday you too will see the...ahem...

(preacher voice)

Holy Truth...Can I Get an AMEN

{congregation}

AMEN

{preacher}

The Holy Truth, the Lord's Number, the Heavenly Number, of 7

{congregation}

AMEN

{preacher}

Yes, Seven, the Heavenly Number, Let Me Hear An AMEN

{congregation}

AMEN

{preacher}

And How Many Strings are on the Heavenly Bass?

{congregation}

SEVEN

{preacher}

I Said, How Many Strings are on Our Lord's Bass?

{congregation}

SEVEN

{preacher}

The Good Book Says on The Seventh Day, He Rested! He Rested and He Boogied! That's Right, The Lord Created the Heavens and the Earth, and on the Seventh Day, He Rested, and He Boogied on His Seven String Bass! Can I Hear an Amen?

{congregation}

AMEN

{preacher}

Can I Hear... uh, (ahem) oh sorry, wait a minute...

(doctor)

"John it's time for your shots. Nurse Bruno, hold him down please."

oh, hey, gotta go.

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Ok ok the modulas was good but it didnt grab me lol jon your a scream man how long have u 2 been playing?

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've been playing about 16 years, but i retired the 4 string 7 years ago, and have been playing 7's or 8's since then.

13. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    thats cool.. this message board is cool.. i should put one in *basses* hey john do you know anything about tung basses? if not thats cool i saw myung using one in a video it was cool but i know nothing about them

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nicholas tung used to work at the tobias shop in california, he was one of michael tobias's main luthiers, from what i understand. they are a real small shop. i don't even know if he is still making basses anymore.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    NONONO! Big NONO! Rule of TB: Dont post the same thing in multiple forums!!! Someone needs to move this to bass, dont go and post this there. Bad! :D

Tung basses dont make basses anymore...from what ive heard. There were like 6 on bassgear.com a little while ago, but if you expect to buy one, expect to be paying well over $2k, minimum. Great basses, though.

16. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    nah mega i meant put like a different post on basses lol thanks for info though i thought i poseted this in basses but it wasnt until afterwards i found it wasnt lolol

nakoa
    xxiplaybassxx@aol.com

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok...but if it the same subject...smack! :eek: :D

18. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ahh u dont got to worry man thats if like i fuind soemthing else thats cool to talk about

19. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    heh my typing sucks

20. I WANT A BASS-who is paying for your bass man?
    a conklin GT 7 is a pretty damn expensive bass, is daddy paying for it?, or have u had a job and saved all your money since you were 12? just wondering