Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What's the difference between a Bill Dickens model and a standard Conklin GT7??

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

I think Dickens has an extra string. 8 string?

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I don't think so:confused:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nope, they're both seven strings. The components on the Bill Dickens model that aren't on the GT-7 are a different set of electronics (Bartolini pickups and preamp) with mids-selector switch and brightness control switch, it's neck-through as opposed to the GT-7 which is bolt on, the neck is purpleheart and maple rather than wenge and purpleheart, the fingerboard is narrower at the nut than the GT-7, it has gold hardware, and a curly maple top. There may be other differences, but those are the ones I know of.

/_____ My GT-BD7 :)
    \

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I saw at Musicians friend they had the standard GT7 for $999 and the BD7 for $1499 do you think the BD7 is $500 "better" than the standard one??

Do you have any pics of your BD7??

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, I think it's worth the $500 extra dollars, although I'd avoid buying from Musician's Friend if at all possible, simply because you can haggle down the prices at stores, but not at MF, which is kind of pricey. Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Go here and look at the first bass to see a BD7:

http://www.bassalone.com/7string.html

This is currently my bass and has a lot of upgrades that amount to well over 1000 dollars in value which is why its more than a new one but it's worth it. I am actually selling it because I can't afford to keep it with my recent expenditures but for the money I don't think a BD7 can be beat as long as you get a good one (are there bad ones?). IMO the BD7 is WELL worth the 500 dollars more in price over the GT7 and I've played two BD-7's and maybe 4-5 GT-7's. I feel the BD-7's are much better...

I think someone is buying my bass at Bass Alone though so it looks like it isn't going to be for sale anymore. :D

Hopefully...

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm not trying to rob the post but I played a used, absolutely KILLER Conklin 7 string the other day.

It's a flamed purpleheart top and fret board on a zebrawood body and neck with purpleheart stringers. Gee, if I remember it was even a neck-through! Bill uses Bartolini pickups and preamp.

The bass is chambered but it seemed a bit on the heavy side. Maybe 11 pounds of so but very well balanced. Oh, and it's a 34" scale which made it real easy to play. The spacing is a bit tighter than my Imperial 6, but still not too bad.

I think that the owner is looking to get $2000 for it which seems like a pretty darn good deal considering it's an American built, custom shop bass that is immaculate.

9. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    If you're serious about keeping the bass. Spend the extra money because there is a difference in quality as stated above. The Conklin custom stuff is awesome.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's chris's bass, right? it used to belong to jake kot. that's a great bass. if my finances weren't strapped, i would've bought it - also, it doesn't have barts in it, it's got lane poor pickups and a lane poor preamp.

11. I'd say it's tough to go wrong with Conklins in general. I have a custom shop bass for my main axe and a GT-7 for my backup. I'm getting more customs when finances permit (I've worked up 5 designs with Bill and Mike!). I'd say if you can spring or 'em the custom stuff will blow your mind. I think that, returning to the original question of the thread, there's more cool stuff in the Bill Dickens signature model, but it's not for everyone. if you can, try 'em both out somewhere. Guitar Center is often seen as a bad word, but they *DO* have a lot of gear. some will even have both types of Conklin 7 strings. that's probably the best way to see if you think the $500 is worth it for you.

from the low end,

Stew

12. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Couple questions on the Conklins.

Is it pretty much just buying straight from Conklin on the customs or are there dealers to go through for that?

Is the price quoted off their website it or is that list with some discount.

Trying to line up possibilities on an 8 for next year and I'm just starting to jump into the homework.

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    This one is a Conklin not Groove tools, right???

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jared's bass is a Groove Tools; it's just been decked out with added inlays and a new bridge, and the black plastic control covers were replaced with wooden ones.

15. hey niomosy,

as far as I know going straight to the shop is the only way to do the customs, but there could be some dealers I don't know about. I think you're best bet is going to be working with Bill: if you go through a dealer I imagine there would be a slight mark-up.

I hope that was some help,

from the low end,

Stew

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, it's Chris' bass and it was originally built for Jake before his hand issues.

That's right, it is Lane Poor's and a piezo bridge. I played it after my lesson. What a superb instrument! It looks brand new, too.

There is no comparison between that bass and any Groove Tools. ;)

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Another recommendation for Bill Conklin, in general. Very nice guy who makes outstanding instruments. I currently own a Sidewinder and it's a very good bass. :cool:

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been corresponding with Chris about that bass. I'm mightily tempted...

19. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    If I didn't just buy my Fodera Imperial 6 I'd be awful tempted. It is an incredible bass. It is beautiful with the zebrawood body and neck.

The 34" scale makes that bass so easy to play. I kinda feel it's more suited to finger-style playing than slapping but Jake sure made it rock with a bit of slapping.

20. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    If that's the case, Conklin is out. Can't drop 5 grand on one (which is what the website was listing for an 8 with an option or two).

On to other possibilities...