Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

conklins (john turner?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Jun 25, 2000.

1. i played one in guitar center, surprisingly nice, most people give you funny looks, but its real cool. I saw the 4 string model in the musicians friends catalouge, it looked real nice. Since i get 1/2 off gear, i might go for the conklin after the mesa 400+.

Anyone else play one of these.

[This message has been edited by tallguybcs (edited June 29, 2000).]

2. first it called jay turser bass and i have one they play nice but are kinda cheap and i dont think they come with humbuckers if you have the money buy a better high end bass this one is mid end

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Canadianbassman...what are you talking about?! Hes talking about a Conklin...you arent. Howd you conclude he was talking about your bass?

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And nothing can be "mid end." It cant be middle and at an "end!"

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it's Jay Turser it HAS to be low end..

OTOH, the Cort Conklin Groove Tools are great buys for the money, 4,5 or 7.. just ask John Turner.. Hey, John, you around?

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, i was thinking that myself. I middle, um, "end" p-bass COPY? low end! Anyway, the Conklins are a GREAT buy for the money. Think about it, you could get a Fender, an Ibanez, or a CONKLIN, all in the same price range. The Conklin wins! Hey, embellisher, what about the 6?

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey.

i've been very impressed with the conklin groove tool basses. i have quite a few custom hand made conklin 7 and 8 strings and the groove tools (made in korea) compare very favorably to my custom basses, especially the 2 7 string models, the gt7 and the bd7.

my biggest gripes about them are :

the gt7 :

1. the spacing is too wide - on all my custom basses i go for a string spacing that is pretty close to that of a jazz bass, about 3/8" center string to center string, at the nut. the gt7's spacing is more like a p-bass, about 5/16" center string to center string at the nut. not a lot, it would seem, but it makes a difference to me, especially for 7 strings. that's a personal preference thing, so you may not hava a problem with it.

2. the only other thing i found that i didn't like about the gt7 is that the bridge is a bit lighter than what i like. the bridges on my customs are heavy, and expensive, abm bridges, and the one on the gt is a bit less mass. i don't think that the sound suffers _too_ much from this, but the feel is not the same to me.

remember, my custom basses each cost about 3x as much as the gt7. so with these two problems, that's not bad at all.

the bd7, the bill dickens signature model 7 string, has a tighter spacing than the gt, which i like, but the bridge is still pretty mediocre. still, for the money it is an awesome instrument, although on this one i don't like the neck profile thickness - very thin all the way up the neck. it is what bill dickens specifically asked for, but i personally don't think that it would be very stable for my purposes.

still, i've played _many_ bd7's and gt7's, and have been very pleased with the way they play and sound. both have bartollini pickups, and both have preamps designed by bartollini as well - although the gt7's is called a mighty mite, bartollini designed it.

unfortunately, i have very little experience with the 4 strings, except to say that they got the same attention from bill conklin in the design department that the 7's did.

bill spent around 2 years working with westheimer (the company manufacturing the groove tools) ironing out the specs and the kinks of each of the 4 groove tool basses. you will soon be seeing groove tool guitars - 6,7 and 8 string models, as well as a few more signature model basses including a 6 string signature model.

the only other gripe i have is with westheimer, they need to start offering these basses in more than 2 colors. that's pretty lame.

still, though, i would give them a glowing review, and i have played ~ 30 different groove tool GT7s and ~10 different BD7's. very consistent in quality and sound.

good luck, and if you have any more questions, feel free to email me at 7strbass@bellsouth.net

i have no affiliation with conklin guitars except as a very satisfied customer.

[​IMG]

------------------
    john

ask me about my conklins!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MegaAngus:
    Hey, embellisher, what about the 6?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If they make one, I'm sure it's the same quality as the 4,5 & 7, never seen the 6 string flavor of Groove Tools..

John, I agree, I hate natural maple, which only leaves me one color to pick from.. how about transparent black, blue, green, or maybe even a cherry or tobacco 'burst?

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just a quick FYI for everyone: Maybe I mentioned it before, but Westheimer is the Parent company of Cort basses and Mighty Mite parts. I think they also make pickups under the "Razor" Brand. Just an interesting bit of trivia.

Incidentally, I think Canadianbassman saw John Turner's name and assumed the original poster meant to say Jay Turser. Maybe he's in too big a hurry to post enough times to become a veteran to read other people's names and actually be part of the community thang...

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    embellisher,

yeah, i was actually talking to bill conklin today about my 8 string fretted,and i brought up the fact that the 2 color thing is getting a bit old. he told me that he has talked to jack (westheimer, the owner of the company) and jack says "there are new players all the time, these colors will always seem fresh". that's just the way westheimer is, though, look at the curbow corts, they have all of 3 or 4 colors.

just take heart and know that bill conklin is trying to get the westheimer folks on the ball, so it shouldn't be too long before there are some more colors.

bill also told me that the groove tool guitars should be showing up in your local guitar center any day now. for your guitar playing buddies.

there will probably be a 6 string signature groove tools bass in the near future, the same electronics options as the bill dickens sig, but 6 strings.

lastly, conklin is very close to announcing another signature bass ( a 4 string) for an artist long associated with fender basses. this guy is really big, and there are just a few wrinkles to iron out before it becomes totally official and legit.

so there you have it, straight from the horses mouth.

------------------
    john

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just to encourage the 7-string discussion, i thought i would resurrect this thread,since the other one was closed for some reason.

------------------
    john

12. "Mid end"....

Useful concept!

Andy

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MegaAngus:
    ANYWAY, ive played the Groove Tools guitars (I play guitar too...but bass wins)...all 7 strings.

the 6 and 8 string models will probably be available before the end of the year.

Hey john, just curious, what do you string your basses with? Off topic, but curious, cuz i tried some "Conklin Snake Skins" recently, and they were pretty good for taper cores (tapered B, E, A, and G!).

i use Dean Markley strings exclusively. i get them direct, the gauges that i now use are:

.150" - Low F#
    .135" - Low B
    .107" - E
    .078" - A
    .055" - D
    .035" - G
    .030" - B/C
    .027" - E/F
    .022" - A

i regullarly use 3 different tunings on the 7 strings:

F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-C
    B-E-A-D-G-B-E
    E-A-D-G-C-E-A

i've also recorded with straight 4ths and straight 5ths, starting at B for both.

i wouldn't use anything but taper cores. the regular core strings intonate much worse than the tapers do - in my expreience it is impossible to get good intonation through the octave (12th fret). i can get very good intonation across all my strings, even the low f#, all the way up the neck with the tapercores.

the snakeskins that you saw are actually manufactured by dean markley, to the same tolerances as the dean markley SR2000 strings. the only difference is that the snakeskins have a purple silk wrap.

So anyway, i hope they come out with the 6 string (Conklin), cuz i might have to buy it...assuming its a bit better than the GT-7. (By better i mean more comfortable. They sound fine).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bill is actually working on a 6 string groove tools bass, it is going to be a signature model for a fairly famous player. once it's finalized, i will be able to say who, probably after this summer's namm show.

it will probably be the like the bill dickens model, electronics wise, but with only 6 strings.

------------------
    john

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    Hey john, ever seen a bass with something lower that F#? Im not sure if the low C# would be feasable/useful/possible, but just curious. How does the low F# sound?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i haven't seen one yet, although really the only limiting factor is the availability of a ~.175-.185 string, which in my opinion would be the minimum of what you would need for a low c#.

you would also most definitely need a new rig, with massive power requirements, at least 1000 watts for the sub alone. the only bass rig that i have ever played that even approaches usable on the low F# is the elf system for Bag End. i use yamaha 18" pa subs, along with hartke aluminium 4x12" guitar cabs.

another thing that has been an important consideration with the low f# in my experience has been gigging out live with it. i have yet to see a bar that has any kind of decent acoustics, especially for the low bass range. you have to expend extra effort to plan your sound around where you are playing, and the acoustics there, and how your sound is going to integrate with your bandmates.

------------------
    john

[This message has been edited by john turner (edited June 28, 2000).]

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, today i found a site of some small custom guitar shop that makes strings... ones that are .177-.008. Never seen strings that thick, but i have seen a set of .008's (guitar string...Ernie Ball Slinky's...too thin for me! 12's or nothing.). I wish i had the site...i closed it before it occured to me that it relates to this! I almost forgot about this thread! Ill try to find it again.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And wow, thatd take a LOT of neck strength to be able to withstand the tension of a 7 string tuned C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G...and yeah, like a 30" speaker!

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the lower frequency strings generally have less tension when tuned to pitch than the higher frequency strings. this holds true up to about the D string, and then the strings start to go down in tension again as you go higher.

check this link
    http://www.daddario.com/STRINGCT/Dcatalog.htm

they list the tuned-up tensions for each string.

------------------
    john

"Bad Muttluk! No Anuses!!" -our own lil'biski

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i brought that up because the tension issue is a very relevant point with regards to the lower strings. higher tension = better tone.

one of the complaints many people have with the low b on many instruments is that it tends to be "floppy", this is one of the reasons why. back in the other 7string thread, we were talking about the novax fanned fret instruments, and that is the theory behind them - the longer scale length causes the lower strings to be at a higher tension when tuned to pitch.

you could just get a heavier string, but this can cause you to lose higher harmonics, making the string sound duller.

it's a constant tradeoff.

and angus, behave! [​IMG]

------------------
    john

"Bad Muttluk! No Anuses!!" -our own lil'biski

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, believe it or not, my basses are all 34" scale length, except for the 8 strings which are 35".

in my experience a good stiff neck is as relevant, if not more so, to the tone of the low b and low f# as the scale length. i would say that the tone of the low strings on your modulus owes more to the stiffness of the graphite neck than to the scale length. that's not to say the scale length is irrelevant, just that i don't think it plays nearly as much of a factor as the neck stiffness. i've played some 36" scale instruments where the low b wasn't nearly as good as the b on my 34" scale instruments. like i said, i've played some well made fanned fret basses, and their low b was just as good as the low b on my basses.

if i were to critique the low f# as it is implemented now, the worst things i would have to say are

1. i would prefer a larger than .150" string - the tension would be tighter, and the tone would be better.

2. the .150" only lasts about 3/4 as long as the rest of my strings. i imagine it's because of the # of windings (one on top of a regular low B) and i guess the windings just begin to loosen.

and of course, there is the whole rig consideration. i mean, remember that the low F# is ~23 Hz. that's below the 3dB mark on even most Pa's, let alone most bass rigs.

still though, i dig the low F#, i love my rig, it's relatively portable for being a big, "rock" rig, and it sounds killer, even down to the low F#. there are things that i would improve, if i could, and i probably am eventually going to be getting the bag end system to replace the yamaha subs, but as it is now, i dig my rig.

------------------
    john

"Bad Muttluk, No Anuses!!" - our own lil'biski

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bill conklin, for one. when i got him started on the 8 strings, i was going to go to 36", just to try it, especially for the low F#. he told me that he didn't think it would be necessary, that his necks are stiff enough. he would've done it if i wanted him to, but he didn't feel the need. i did 35" just as a sorta compromise, playing unlined fretless in-tune is hard enough without having to take into account different scale lengths.

i've also heard rick turner talking about the importance of neck stiffness for good low b (and lower) performance.

actually i've heard quite a few luthiers talk about it.

------------------
    john

"Bad Muttluk, No Anuses!!" - our own lil'biski