Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I know that there was already an ask John thread about Conklin's, but I have a slightly different question. I am looking at picking up a 5 or 6 string and have been looking at the Conklins. I've priced out and played the Peavey Cirrus, Yamaha TRB and the Conklin GT-5. IMHO the Conklin held it's own with each of these at almost half the price. I don't know if this is a question anyone can answer, but how are they able to sell these guitars at such a low price.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    While the Peavey is Made in the U.S. and the Yamaha's made in Japan, the Groove Tools series is made in Korea. That reduces the cost of labor and consequently the price point.
  3. how much do 6 string conklins go for?
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    unfortunately, you'll have to go to the custom shop for a conklin 6 banger...i spec'd out a custom conklin 6 and it came out at about 3 grand. that was with a custom body shape and an rmc piezo synth system. i wanted a contoured body with the sidewinder shape, except kinda miniaturized-dinky, i guess :D i'm pretty small. when i strap on my curbow petite, i look like i'm wearing a surfboard ;) anyway, bill is awesome to work with, and he knows his s#!@, too. he'll do anything you want, and offer his insight to what the best thing to do is. too bad conklin didn't go through with that marco mendoza sig 6er. :( oh well......good luck!
  5. grizzwell

Feb 22, 2002
    The seven string can be a lot of fun if you can get used to the wide fret board. it can take you into territory that was once out of reach -- guitar-like triads on the higher pitched strings.