Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

conn bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Sep 21, 2005.

1. i saw a new mexico band tonight in cincinnati called jason and the argonauts. their bassist was playing a conn jazz bass copy. it sounded absolutely amazing, like a jazz bass on steroids.

i asked him after their set what it was and he said it's made my conn, the brass instrument company and he's never seen another one. i didn't get a chance to play it but he said it played great.

i was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. if they are all as great sounding as this one then i definately want to find one.

thanks!

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I would guess your answer is "no".

Personally I've never heard of them before.

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    That sounds really interesting...
    but considering they dont make good brass instruments, i wouldnt assume that most of their instruments are too good. that and the name... im sure they probably relied on their name in the winds dept to make it in stings, but i guess it enver caught on.

4. Conn basses? Conn Basses?! Did somebody mention Conn BASSES? Here's a Conn contrabass sarrusophone, vintage about 1905. It has about a two-octave range, starting at the second fret Db on a five-string’s B. For scale, it's about six inches longer than my Alembic Spoiler.

[​IMG]

Well.... Brass instruments were made under the Conn name first in 1871! Conn saxes from the early-to-mid-thirties are major collector's items. In 1969, Conn was sold to Crowell-Collier-Macmillan, the book publishers. The next ten years saw things go down hill. Now, though, yeah, Conn brass instruments are student/starter items.

To get back on topic, a quick check of Margaret Downie Banks' site doesn't yield any evidence of Conn stringed instruments.

5. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've seen a few Conn guitars and basses. A small step up from Teisco del Rey.

6. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

Quite right.

[​IMG]

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Conn sold Japanese made axes in the late 70s/early 80s. Most were interesting rethinks of classic models, like neck-through Strats, etc. They weren't very expensive ($3-400 at the time when a Fender P-bass was $700).

Cool sausophone pic...always wondered what one looked like (jazz legend Sidnet Bechet recorded with one once).