Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Connect Ampeg SVP-PRO with QSC RMX 850

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rich37, May 5, 2002.

1. I need help,

I'm planning to buy the Ampeg and the QSC.

The QSC has only speakon outputs and the Ampeg has only jack outputs.
    Is it possible to make a cable with a jack plug and a speakon plug? Will this function properly?

My cab has also speakon outputs so I could hook up the QSC easily.
    If I'm not able to take my cab with me,(lack of space in car) and the guy who's letting me play over his cab. has no speakon outputs, what then?
    I don't think if I make another cable with jack/speakon it could handle the power from amp to cab.

The QSC has a TRS jack output where is this for?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes you can have a 1/4" to Speakon. I have 2 of these cables that I use w/my rig. You could probably buy one but if not, but a double ended Speakon cable & cut it in 1/2 & connect 2 1/4" connectors. :)

3. RMX amps have XLR and TRS (1/4") inputs and Speakon and 5-way outputs.

To connect the SVP-PRO to the RMX you can use either XLR or 1/4" plugs.

To connect the RMX to speakers you can either use Speakon or the 5-way connectors. Making a speaker cable that has banana plugs on one end and a 1/4" plug on the other end would be pretty simple - just don't use musical instrument cable. 12 gauge electrical cable works pretty well.

4. Oh, yeah - Nino's suggestion would work just great too.

:)

5. Thanks you've been a great help!!

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea.. make sure you don't plug the QSC's output into the SVP's output... that might cause some serious smokage.

Speakons are generally only used for high current applications.. you shouldn't need one to connect your preamp to your poweramp, only your poweramp to your speakers.

7. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    speaking of preamp to power amp connects....is there any difference between using a good xlr cable and using a good 1/4inch cable? what do most of you guys/girls use?

8. K Dubbs asked...

speaking of preamp to power amp connects....is there any difference between using a good xlr cable and using a good 1/4inch cable? what do most of you guys/girls use?

I use 1/4" George L cables. Preamp --> power amp connections are low voltage and IMO plain old TRS cables probably work just fine. Nothing wrong with XLR, though ;)

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    1/4" cabled from the pre to the QSC.
    Two banana clip cables from theQSC to the cabs.

You can buy Speakon/1/4" jacks and banana clip/1/4" jacks too.

10. How thick or howmuch gauge must the speaker cable be to connect the QSC 850 to the cab.?

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My pre has both XLR balanced and 1/4" unbalanced outputs. I use a very short XLR=>XLR cable to the power amp. Since the pre and the power amps are adjacent in my rack, I didn't really need to use a balanced connection, except that I use the preamp's unbalanced output for hooking up my direct box when necessary.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    The longer the cable, the thicker (larger gauge) it should be.

The lower the speaker cabinet impedance, the thicker the cable should be.

For example, if you're running 2 feet to an 8-ohm cabinet, you could use 18, 16, 14, or 12 gauge stranded copper, or even larger.

If you're running 25 feet into a 4-ohm cabinet, you'll want to stick with probably 12 gauge or larger.

13. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    anybody know an online shop that a guy can get less-than-5-foot-long xlr =>xlr cables? Also, would one of those monster studio 500 cables be a better idea than a standard aluminum connect xlr?

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Like this? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=5009&DID=7

What is a "standard aluminum connect xlr?"

15. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I use George L's as well and found them to work great. I also use a QSC and I just built my cables. It was really hard to find banana to speakon cables less then 10 feet long so I just bought the cable and ends. The QSC rocks; its really clean and punchy:D. Good Luck....

16. Can I use every poweramp with a preamp?
    Or are there specificly poweramps designed to use with bassguitar?

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Power amps are generally designed to handle full-range audio well. Bass guitar thus is not a problem.

The main concerns are in whether the pre has enough oomph to drive the power amp (some POD and similar devices don't have much output voltage capability) and in choosing an appropriate speaker system and the right amount of power for it.

18. Is it so that poweramps need a switch to go down a certain amount of Hz. like the QSC rmx 850, to handle the B-string better?

What makes a pre amp powerfull?

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    :confused: ???

I don't understand your question, but the RMX 850 doesn't have any problem handling the low B string. I don't know of any reasonably decent power amp from any reputable brand that would have any problem, either.

Preamps aren't powerful, but power amps are. Some power amps take up to a couple volts of input signal (at full gain) to be able to reach full power. But some preamps can't put out anything significantly more than 1 volt.

20. There a 2 selectable low freq filters (50 hz or 30 hz.) They match the amps range to the cab.
    The 30 hz. filter can be used to ensure low-end tightness.

So if I'm right about the pre amp;

Is it all a matter of the output voltage capabilty?
    Howmuch output voltage capability should a pre amp have to drive a power amp well then?

You must be tired of all these stupid questions now