1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Connecting a Korg DTR-1000 to my Ashdown Mag 300.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by triggervision, Mar 17, 2008.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Little help guys. What are my different options? I have a tuner output, effects send output, and an effects return input on my head. How do I connect the tuner? Thanks for answers to a noob-ish question.

2. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    go from the tuner out of your head into the input of your korg tuner using an instrument cable.

thats all.

3. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i beleive you could do it before the input of the amp if you want to use the tuners mute function.

the the tuner out works also.

4. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    What do you mean "before the input of the amp"? Also, what would the tuners mute function do? The manual seems unclear.

5. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD

"Before the input of the amp" means in between your bass guitar and the amp. Basically, you would connect your bass guitar to the input of the tuner using an instrument cable, then connect the tuner to the input of your amp. Using this setup, the tuner's mute funtion would allow you to tune your bass without any sound coming from the amp.

Hope this helps you!

Chris

6. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Ok. That was what I was thinking, but I'm glad I cleared it up. One more thing though; Does this "before the amp" method alter my sound at all. I didn't know if not being plugged directly into the amp would affect my sound.

7. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Try it and decide for yourself... some say yes, some say no.

8. I am going to assume that you have or will be putting both your amp and tuner into a rack case. As the tuner has both an input and output on the back panel you can, If you wish, connect the tuner into your effects loop. amp send to tuner input and amp return to tuner output. This keeps the cables safely inside the rack case. You can then use the tuners mute function from either the front panel or via a foot-switch. You of course just plug your bass into the amps regular input.

Paul

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Your Ashdown already has a "Mute" button, right? In that case, there's not much point in trying to set things up to use the Korg's mute. Just run a cable from the "tuner out" to the tuner.

Mike

10. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    No to both...

the ashdown doesn't have a tuner mute and has the effects loop on the front...

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    My advice: Stick to the tuner out on your amp. Run that into the proper input on the BACK of the DTR-1000. Keep the front one free for others to use if necessary. Besides, it allows for cleaner wiring.

Rely on your head's mute switch. It's too cumbersome, IMO, to use an external footswitch just for that - if you wanted to do it that way, you'd be best off with the Korg DT-10 tuner pedal, or the upcoming Korg Pitchblack.

EDIT: Willem says it doesn't have a tuner output? In that case, just run it in the effects loop.

12. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    It does have a tuner output (which is on the front also), not a tunermute function....

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    That's what the regular mute button is for.

...or does it not have a button for that? :meh:

14. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    It depends on the impedances of the in- and outputs of your bass, tuner and amp. If it doesn't all match up, you could end up with a thin sound. Best to use the tuner out. It's there for a purpose ;)

15. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    My Ampeg B-2RE 450W Solid State Bass Head does not have a Tuner out... Can I come from the FX Out terminal...? I have same question...? I just want to pick up signal for tuner...? I think BassmanPaul touched on it...but not clear if I have to loop it for some reason...? Please Help Me too...???

16. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    It does not tell Me which output to use coming from my amp. I want to plug Bass into the amp directly. On my Peavey amp it has a tuner out port. I run cable from tuner out on amp to back of Korg tuner. Works great. Now that I have an Ampeg svt 450 watt amp now...It does not have tuner out port. It has a FX in and out Port. I want to know if I can pick up a signal from one of those ports...? The In or out Port..? Or does there have to be some sort of through signal. I just ordered the Korg for My new Ampeg...?

17. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    the way I understand PaulBassman's response ...I would need 2 cables...? One to return signal...?

18. Gary-Love Low

Gary-Love Low

Apr 22, 2018
    Would You review and give some input on my thread explaining how to hook up Korg Tuner to an Ampeg SVT 450 amp...?

19. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    You would have to run it through the loop. FX out to the input of the tuner. Tuner output to FX in.

Gary-Love Low likes this.