1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Connecting a Mike Pope preamp to a Markbass Little Mark iii

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyMania, May 19, 2011.

1. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    I was wondering since I saw the MPP preamp for sale on Ebay, if it is possible to hook it up to a Little Mark iii head. Would the additional preamp even make a difference in sound if I got it.........or should I just stick with the knobs on my bass and head. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-Andy

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    It will certainly make a difference, whether that's a good thing is for you to decide. AFAIK, it requires a modification of the MarkBass stuff for the effects loop to bypass the preamp section (at least it does on the F1), so you're effectively running through 2 preamps. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but adds a modicum of extra complexity to your gain staging and EQing.

If you like what you've got with the LM III and your bass, then there's no need to change it. I am, of course, aware that need has little to do with GAS ...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, it requires it with the lm 3, too. but really, set it flat and it's pretty much the same thing on an lm3 as bypassing the lm3 pre. it's got near flat response.

4. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    Ok guys I'm relatively new to this stuff. So in simple terms, how would I bypass the pre on the LMIII and how do I connect the MPP to the LMIII? There is an input on the front of the LM called "balanced input." Is that where I would connect the MPP to?

-Andy

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you cannot bypass the pre on an lm3.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    What are you trying to achieve with this?

7. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    +1.

8. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    Im trying to acheive a better tone. I heard the Mike Pope MPP1 rack mount is fantastic. So I thought why not connect one to my LMiii power amp. I was thinking I could fine tune my tone even more.

-Andy

9. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    .......plus paying $800 for a used one in good shape is a great deal.

10. These are two completely different amplifiers. If you dislike your tone, you might as well get rid of the Markbass rig and buy something else that suits you. If you like your tone and you just want more EQ flexibility to make it sound even better, or perfect, then buy a Boss GEB-7. Hell, if you're really interested in the Pope, then sell the Markbass and get a nice poweramp to run the Pope with. I just really don't get the hassle you want to go through.

I mean, that sure as heck is a good deal, but if I hate muddy tones and short-scales why would I get an EB-3 just because it's priced cheap at 800$? Be sure this amp is what you want. I would take the leap any day but if you do like the dark tone of your Markbass, then keep it; The MPP, although it can go very deep, is a pretty Hi-Fi pre-amp.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    +1 for florox. i like mike and i like recordings i've heard of his pre, but for $800 i'd make sure i liked it first. and if you do get it, i'd just get a power amp instead. markbass stuff isn't made to be defeated. every other company in the world will do that for you, but not them.

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    let's be honest guys
    how many time have you thought " I am sure this is the last piece of the puzzle in my tone quest" ...
    "being sure" isn't really possible ... lol

and seriously, how do you find one of these boutique pre to sample ?

more on topic, would the effect return bypass the pre on the LM?
    but even if you can't by-pass the pre in your LM, so what? you may still like it
    besides, the MB pre aren't know for heavy coloration anyways
    I would think twice if it were an Eden or an Ampeg pre that I HAD to go thru after the MPP.

13. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    No, as noted earlier, the MarkBass effects loop is before the preamp in the chain.

14. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    I understand what you guys are saying but Florox, isn"t the LMiii a power amp? I would have to get a power amp without the EQ controls in order to use the MPP-1 right?

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No, it's an integrated bass amp. The Pope would work through the effects loop but that's not the optimal way to use it.

16. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    The LM III, like other "heads", is a preamp and power amp in a single box. Most allow you the option of bypassing the preamp section by use of the effects loop -- MarkBass just happens to be one of the few that doesn't.

You don't "have to" get a power amp to use the Mike Pope, although there are many options if you go this route, and many, many threads here on pre + power amplifier setups.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I must agree, if you're not liking the tone from the LM3, sell it and get a poweramp. Running the new pre through the LM3 will not be that different than just running the LM3 by itself. It'll "add to" what you have, but it'll never "take away" what you don't like. Seems like the horse has fallen way behind the cart here.

18. AndyMania

AndyMania

Jan 3, 2010
    Okay guys thanks for the input. I guess getting a Boss GEB-7 sounds like the route to go with if I want to fine tune my tone.

19. I never knew that, even though I've owned two of 'em!
    But then again, I've never needed to know. I'm pretty simplistic when it comes to my amp needs. All I need my amp to do is produce enough clean volume, with usable EQ, and be ergonomically appealing. Basic features like input level control and a good DI goes without saying, but I've never been one to incessantly tweak minuscule parameters since they get mainly lost in the live mix once everyone starts playing.
    Don't get me wrong. I require a good tone just like the next guy, but I can get that with most high quality amps.

I agree with the others that say, for less money, you can get an excellent EQ, possibly with built in compression, but heck, it's his money. :bassist:

20. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    On a quick note, I find the GE-7 to work A LOT better for bass than the GEB-7.