Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

connecting amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by razorbakc, Oct 13, 2003.

1. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I was thinking about this today and I couldn't really figure it out. I want to connect my old combo amp with my ampeg head and cab, but I'm not too sure how I would go about doing it. Anyone know? The combo is a Crate 100W and the head is an Ampeg 350W as well as the cab.

Also, what is a power amp and a preamp?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Do either of the amps have a link out or DI style output. If so, use that to link the two amps. I'm pretty sure the ampeg would have one, possibly the crate as well.

That Ampeg head is essentially a pre-amp and a power amp all in one box. The pre-amp takes the signal from your bass at under 1 volt, and boosts it a bit to above 1 volt so the power amp can recognise and amplify it better. The pre-amp is also where all the tone shaping, equalising etc happens.

You can buy pre-amps and power amps seperately.

3. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    The Crate has a 'Balanced Line Out', but it has a mic style plug.

The cab has two 1/4' inputs like the head, so thats whats really confusing me. Like, how would I connect the two and which amp would I plug in to?

And the reason I was asking about the power amp is because the head has a power amp input jack. Does that mean I can add more power by buying a power amp?

4. The mic style output is the DI, however I was unaware you could connect amps via this output..

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    run a DI out from the ampeg into the crate.

6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Sometimes, if an amp has more than one instrument input, you can run a cord from the unused input to another amp input. This is called daisy chaining.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Perfect! Firstly plug your bass into the input of the crate. Next you will need a cable that is mic style (female XLR) on one end, and a normal 1/4 inch jack on the other. These are readilly available from music stores. Plug one end into the "balanced line out" in the crate, and the other end into the input of your ampeg. You should now be getting your bass signal into both amps. You should also have fairly independant control of each amp individually.

only use the output on the cab if you are going to run a second cab from the ampeg.

actually that isn't an input - it's an output. Remember I was saying your ampeg has a pre-amp and power amp all in one box. Well that amp is designed so that you can use the pre-amp section only, then feed the signal to a seperate power amp.

8. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Thanks!