1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Connecting amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperUltra, Feb 11, 2019.

1. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    So, I have a bit of a situation, I want to connect three amps a GK Fusion 550 and two GK 700RB-IIs, how could I go about doing this?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

I'm reeeeeeeeally glad you came here and asked before you did it.

Ok, so, you can't do it on the power end at all..... period. You can NOT daisy chain the power sections.

What you can do is use two of them as a "slave" amp with the preamp of the third driving all three amps.

Which one do you want the sound of? What kind(s) of cabs are we talking about? What's the goal? What's your level of experience when it comes to electronics and such?

I'm NOT bashing you. We need to know a little more before we can help.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Take the "effects send" from the master amp to the "effects return" of the first slave then do the same from the first slave to the second slave.

4. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Trying to run all three to an iso cab

5. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Thanks

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You can go preamp-preamp-preamp-power-cab via the sends, but what is that going to get you?
    You can only use one power amp into the iso cab at a time.

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Noooooooooooo!!! You can NOT run all three power sections together into one cab. Period. Smoke will come from everywhere!!!!

Do NOT run three heads into one cab.

Nope.

Don't.

Stop.

Please give us even more detail of the setup you are trying to run (and why).

I don't want you to fry your gear.

8. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Just a preferred setup so I can use other speaker cabs and an isolated at the same time and run the iso to more cabs, moral is, I have a lot of cabs

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Since its not my gear, go ahead. Good luck. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.

Zbysek, selowitch and Bodeanly like this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I think what the OP wants is a selector box that allows various amps and cabs to be interconnected. Select the amp and cab you want to play instead of repatching the cables every time. These are not common, but I have seen models by Ampeg, Trace Elliot and Gallien Krueger pop up on Ebay from time to time. I believe they are basically intended for music store showrooms. Here's an example:
    502456d1443973009-speaker-switcher-guitar-cabinets-54100488.

Some variants even allow you to select two cabs at one time...you would be wise to be mindful of the changing impedance and the load your amp expects.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    five7 likes this.
  11. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    I just tried connecting the effects sends and returns and ran different cabs from each head and there seems to be no fire.

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You said you wanted to run them all into one iso cab.

GreyMark and Downunderwonder like this.
  13. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Again, I have way to many cabs, and it would be a waste not to use all of them

14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Absolutely.
    Please tell us about what happens when you plug all three amps into the one iso cab at the same time.

GreyMark likes this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Here's a rack mount device that allows you to "Safely and silently switch up to 4 amplifiers into the same cabinet or load device!" Custom order and it's not cheap.

Product :: CAE Amp Selector

16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ah. That would almost make sense if two of them weren't the same amp. Wonder what the point is....

17. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    I just wanted to chain all my amps together with fx sends and returns, which worked, not burn down my house

18. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    i think im just going to just going to use a a/b box for the two same amps and run my main into that

19. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Feb 11, 2019
    Im trying to kind of replicate paul grays old setup (R.I.P) Because he used two power amps to run multiple cabs and used one normal head to run an iso cab

20. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I got confused about your goals. Hope you get it all hammered out. Hope I didn't offend. I thought you were running three amps into one cab at the same time. :D

SuperUltra, okcrum and Wisebass like this.