1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Connecting amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperUltra, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM.

1. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Monday
    Thanks, and for the record, my house did not burn down, but thanks because you saved me from almost burning my house down. I made a mistake and thought that he ran all three heads into one iso cab, not multiple

two fingers likes this.
  2. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    If you want the max. of your power, You can use a mixer pult before it. Some combinations should work.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. two amps of choice, two cabinets of choice (preferably matching) and grab a Lehle splitter … you are using the EQ and power amp from each head into its own cab … now if you want to expand on each stack, and the cabinet of choice is 8 ohms, and you have another (or two) 8 ohm cabs, you can run a second cab off of each head for a 4 ohm load … you may have a sonic mess on your hands, but you will be using two of your heads, and four of your cabs from your menagerie, "just because you have them and it would be a waste not to use them" … ;)

LEHLE

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM
  4. Not with amps he can't.

5. That sounds like a plan to smoke it all up.

You can only connect one amp to any cab or cabs that are connected.

You cannot run amps into a mixer, only preamp signals.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Monday
    So I was trying to mimic something like Paul grays rig and it turns out he used two power heads to power two 8x10s and used one to run an iso, so I decided to do that instead of burning my house down.

agedhorse, smogg and Gearhead17 like this.
  7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Me too. Post #4 was a tad unclear without some more info. But it's all working now. :thumbsup:

two fingers likes this.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This, of course, to run a separate cab from each amp. As someone else pointed out, running all the amps to one cab will certainly let all the smoke out of all the amps and probably out of the cab, too.

9. Why would the cab smoke? The reason amps smoke when plugged in tandem is the dramatically low impedance each presents to the other while parallel to the regular cab inpedance. That ought to leave the cab sitting there going ''what about me?''. Or not?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The smoke could travel down the speaker cable.

grisezd likes this.
  11. Yeah, as stated, just run the power section from your amp to separate cabs. Depending upon cab impedence and amp specs, you might be able to connect two cabs to one head. But you can’t ever connect two heads to one cab! Ever!!! Well, unless you have a cab that can split the inputs. Some 8x10’s allow you to just run the lower or upper 4x10 section. In that case, you could likely plug two heads in to one cab - one upper, one lower BUT I would make sure you understood how the cab was wired BEFORE you did that.

I’ve done it with stereo guitar cabs before - ran two amps, one left side, one right side - but never tried it with an 8x10.

If you want to have some fun, get a large rack. Rack mount each amp and then also buy a stereo 1,400 watt rack amp. And a rack mixer. Run your bass in to the first amp, then use the tuner out to run the signal in to the next amp’s input. Repeat for the next amp. Now take the effects send from each amp, and send that to the mixer. Hook the mixer up to the stereo rack amp - with the inputs bridged. Then hook up your cabs to each channel of the rack amp. (this should work as long as your other amps aren’t tube amps!)

Then you will have three different amps with your bass running through each and you can eq each amp. Then on the mixer you control which amp you want to hear. You can hear all 3 signals in any volume mix you want! I think you’ll just end up getting a muddy signal running 3 parallel preamps back to one amp, bit it’s something to experiment with.

You could also run a 4th signal from the last amp tuner out to the mixer’s channel input and basically have a direct box type setup on that channel. If you like it, throw out your other 3 amps and just use a mixer and rack amp! :laugh:

12. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Monday
    How did this thread turn from connecting amps to smoke?

13. It didn't turn. It started with an apparent ignorance of the potential for smoke from connecting amps incorrectly.

14. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Monday
    wow

15. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Monday
    are you saying Im ignorant?

16. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    Inspired by how much fun I was having with the Ric-o-sound feature on my Ric, I picked up an ABY box to continue the multi amp setup with my other basses. I use the Super Bassman vintage channel for a big round tube bottom and the 100T modern channel in the 25 watt mode to push the power tubes for the grit. Have fun with your gear!

20180307_161401.

Hawaii Islander likes this.
  17. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Chill, SuperUltra. To be ignorant is simply to be unaware of something. We are all ignorant about some things. No one is insulting your intelligence.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  18. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Monday
    sorry

19. SuperUltra

SuperUltra

Monday
    I also need some help identifying the purpose of some gear he used, see i know he uses the two power amps at the bottom of his rig for the two enclosures, and one normal head for an iso cab, but what are the other two for?

Attached Files:

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is an example of why some designers put so much effort into designing effective protection circuitry into amps. Even so, it's unlikely that the amp's would survive 100% of the time because protection circuits generally don't protect against another signal driven into an amp.