connecting amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by linebacker51, Sep 29, 2002.

1. i just got a used peavey tko 65 for my b-day and i was wondering how i could hook it to my crate bx25dlx. The crate has an external speaker jack but the peavey doesn't. i has pre amp out and power amp in. is it possible to connect these speakers or not

Thanks in advance

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    What are you really hoping to do? Use both speakers with one amp or use both amps simultaneously?

Preamp output/power amp inputs are similar to an effects loop and aren't designed to connect speakers to.

Let me (us) know what you want to do and we'll be happy to offer some guidance.
  3. i would like to play through both amps at the same time

any thing is much appreciated

4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    run a line from the pre amp out to the other amps input. it shud work that way. Btw, dont attempt to plug the other amp into the "external speaker" jack or you will end up with the sweet aroma of poweramp overload.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Both owner's manuals are on-line.... and

I took a look and learned a couple of things...

1. You can plug into both of the Peavey's inputs and they will then have the same gain.

2. The external speaker jack on the Crate is for plugging the Crate into another cabinet (4 ohm minimum impedance). The Crate's internal speaker will be disconnected. From what you said you want to do, this jack should be left alone.

Based on what you indicated your goal is, I'd recommend the following....

Plug your bass into one of the Peavey's inputs, then plug another instrument cord into the other one and run that over to the Crate. (I'm assuming that the Peavey's input jacks are wired like an old Fender tube amp). This is a common old-school method for using more than one amp at a time or using both channels of an old two channel tube amp (i.e. Fender or Marshall).

Each amp's preamp would work independently of the other...a very good thing.

You could run an instrument cable from the Peavey's preamp output jack to the Crate's input jack but you run the risk of overloading the Crate's preamp and the settings of the Peavey's tone controls will affect the sound of the crate, as will it's volume control setting.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to post any questions that you have.

Good luck!

p.s. For more tonal fun you could substitue a guitar amp for the Crate and use the Peavey for clean bottom end and the guitar amp for dirty top end (with the bass control turned down to avoid mud)...could give a great Entwistle type sound...