1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Connecting audio to/from Mac

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by PDGood, Mar 6, 2013.

1. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I bought a Mac Mini and was previously doing audio on a G4 tower (which I still own). I'm not sure how to set up sound in the Mini and would appreciate some help.

On the tower I used an audio card with 1/4" ins and outs. That's ideal.
    Question #1: Is there any way to connect the Mini to the tower to make use of the audio card? In addition to the connectivity that the card brings it has some amazing processing software so this would be my preference.

I also own a Presonus Firebox. I thought that connecting that via Firewire might be the answer, however it appears the Firewire in the Mini is a different type than the much older Firebox.
    Question #2: Is there a Firewire cable that has the old style on one end and the new on the other or some sort of connector I can purchase?

Question #3: If none of the above works is there any other way to establish audio in/out connections besides what I've asked with the equipment I have? I'm trying to avoid making another purchase of hundreds of dollars.

Thanks in advance,
    PD

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  3. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Great!! Many thanks!

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    +1

Additionally, the Thunderbolt port is compatible with FireWire using a TB to FW adapter. This is useful if at some point you need a second FireWire port.