Connecting iPod to aux RCA's of old boombox?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bongomania, Dec 27, 2007.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have a good mini-stereo plug to 2xRCA cable, but it seems like the signal output of the iPod is way too low to use with the aux ins of older boomboxes and stereos. Even cranking the volume of both devices to max gets only quiet signal. Is there a gadget on the market that is designed for adapting iPod output for this purpose? Or will I have to DIY a little line driver?

2. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    What about just running it through a practice amp?

3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No, I have craploads of audio gear at home, this is for when I'm at a jobsite or a friend's house where they only have an old stereo or boombox.

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've noticed that some RCA inputs tend to be quieter than other inputs. This has proven true IME with DVD players, TV's, and a few other appliances.

However, it also should be noted that a couple of years ago, Mac started using an iPod volume limiter due to lawsuits about diminished hearing attributed to loud iPod usage. There are ways to set the limiter at maximum, and if that isn't enough there are programs that actually provide a volume boost for your iPod.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Cheers Spanks, but my iPod is pre-limiter-era. :) I'll have to look into that software though.

6. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, they implemented the limiter through iPod software, not hardware. Once you used the iPod update, they infiltrated your previously brain-blasting music box.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Is it 1/8 stereo or mono going into your iPod?

8. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    the updated software has put a "volume limit" in your settings. Go in there and crank it, then go back to settings and turn off the "soundcheck". Should be better.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I don't see the volume limiter in any of the settings. Sound check was off. This is a Gen. 4 iPod, is it possible the software update did not dump the limiter onto this older unit?

Stereo.

Also, I'd be curious to know if any of you have tried what I'm describing and not had any issues with signal level. I know it was a problem for several co-workers at my last job, using the aux ins of the jobsite stereo, so it's not a problem specific to my iPod or cable or even the boombox at my current job.

10. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  11. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I never had any issues plugging an iPod Mini or a 60 gig iPod into the old JVC boombox I have at my house. Simple RCA to 1/8 stereo, and I'm good to go.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Hmm...

Well, it looks like the limiter function was only applied to Nanos and Gen 5's, so no limiter here. And every last one of the software hacks merely defeats the limiter function. There was one hack that claimed to go beyond that, boosting the volume to double, but it looks bogus.

Guess I'll get one of those little external phono preamps from Rolls, that oughtta do the trick.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  14. Hi.

I've noticed that almost every iPod I have or have had has a different output level for some reason:confused: (Power conservation ?)

I haven't actually measured the levels but the difference ranges from subtle to drastic, specially with 4Gen models. I've had 7 of those and no 2 have been the same.

I haven't had any problems though, there's always been hot enough signal, but I haven't been using boom-boxes, just ordinary amps and mixing consoles.

Don't know about that particular amp, but if it has the RIAA correction as any decent phono amp has, You won't like it.

There can be an attenuator of some kind built in the input module of the boom-box, a DIY minded person would open 'er up and... You know ;).

Just my 0,02€
    Sam

15. Connect your ipod to your computer and open up iTunes. Select all the songs and group edit all of their settings.

There is a slider under "options" for volume level. I bet if you crank it up a couple of notches you'll be fine.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021