Connecting multiple cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am looking for something that enables you to easily add cabinets in series or parallel. I am sure it exists, but don't know what it's called, where to buy it and how much to pay for it.

I have 5 cabinets of various impedances that I would like to connect, some in series and some in parallel, in order to achieve an overall load of 4 ohms.

Can anyone hook me up with the info? :)

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You forgot the Swiss Army knife,MacGyver:D

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Alright wiseguys... So when using duct tape, how do you differentiate between serial and parallel connections?

I am thinking of some kind of a patch panel box that I can plug each cable into, in a certain configuration to create a specific load on an amp.

:)

5. Gabu, it is my belief (and experience) that different cabinets in series will sound bad. And even identical cabs in series may also sound bad, depends on how identical (say, same age, same brand+type) they are.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmmm... Thanks for the tip.

So there are three sets of different speaker boxes. I have 4 cabs that are identical 1x8s. 2 cabs that are identical 1x12s and 1 that is a 1x18.

I am trying to learn more about setting up for live sound. I have not played out with my current band. The only times I have played out before have been simple setups using practice amps playing at schools or parties. So I am experimenting with speakers and cabs that I already have, or can make with what I already have. (or at least with minimal investment!)

The 1x8s are wedges, the 1x18 is the bottom half of my Carvin rig (for use as a subwoofer), and the 1x12s are standard PA mains.

My PA does not have seperate speaker out jacks for the monitors, mains and subwoofer. It just has 2 speaker out jacks. This is why I am looking for a way to easily connect everything. I am going to pickup a project box from radio shack and add the 1/4" jacks I need to connect all the speakers and hardwire them all I guess.

I will pay extra attention to the mains/sub since that is where the dissemilar speakers will be connected serialy.