Connecting multiple cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am looking for something that enables you to easily add cabinets in series or parallel. I am sure it exists, but don't know what it's called, where to buy it and how much to pay for it.

I have 5 cabinets of various impedances that I would like to connect, some in series and some in parallel, in order to achieve an overall load of 4 ohms.

Can anyone hook me up with the info? :)
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You forgot the Swiss Army knife,MacGyver:D
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Alright wiseguys... So when using duct tape, how do you differentiate between serial and parallel connections?

I am thinking of some kind of a patch panel box that I can plug each cable into, in a certain configuration to create a specific load on an amp.

5. Gabu, it is my belief (and experience) that different cabinets in series will sound bad. And even identical cabs in series may also sound bad, depends on how identical (say, same age, same brand+type) they are.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hmmm... Thanks for the tip.

So there are three sets of different speaker boxes. I have 4 cabs that are identical 1x8s. 2 cabs that are identical 1x12s and 1 that is a 1x18.

I am trying to learn more about setting up for live sound. I have not played out with my current band. The only times I have played out before have been simple setups using practice amps playing at schools or parties. So I am experimenting with speakers and cabs that I already have, or can make with what I already have. (or at least with minimal investment!)

The 1x8s are wedges, the 1x18 is the bottom half of my Carvin rig (for use as a subwoofer), and the 1x12s are standard PA mains.

My PA does not have seperate speaker out jacks for the monitors, mains and subwoofer. It just has 2 speaker out jacks. This is why I am looking for a way to easily connect everything. I am going to pickup a project box from radio shack and add the 1/4" jacks I need to connect all the speakers and hardwire them all I guess.

I will pay extra attention to the mains/sub since that is where the dissemilar speakers will be connected serialy.