1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

connecting my bass rig to a car sub!!?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattalicious, Mar 23, 2006.

1. mattalicious

mattalicious

Mar 23, 2006
    hey guys this is my first post, long time bass player first post on here.................

i was wondering does anyone know how i would go about hooking up a car sub woofer to my bass rig, i have a heartke 350 head and 1 x 15' and 1 x 4 x 10' cabs - both hartke 300 watts,

so does anyone know how i would go about connecting a car sub woofer on top of my rig, i'm going for an incredibbly PHAT sound and getting all the mods is know problem, any ideas would be helpfull, thanx.

2. You could install a 1/4 inch or speakon jack to your car sub cabinet and plug it into your amp, although you would probably want to use a low pass crossover and a separate power amp.

BTW it will probably sound like $#!+ no matter how you hook it up :spit:

3. mattalicious

mattalicious

Mar 23, 2006
    how much would a low pass crossover and a seperate power amp cost, and could i get them at like an electronics shop?

4. Dude, just turn up the bass knob on your amp! :smug:

I guess if that doesn't do it, then check out the for sale adds here on TB for a power amp, and get a lowpass crossover from the place you got your sub, or get a power amp from best buy with a built in crossover.

But don't you already have enough speakers?

5. It would be pointless to add the sub. It wouldn't be loud enough to compete with the rest of your rig.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Said it before, I'll say it again, if the room you're playing to is the size of a car an autosound sub is fine, but not otherwise.

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You'd be surprised how loud some of those subs go. Believe me, in my old neighborhood, I'd be woken up around 3 am from a car that was blocks away from the sub bass. I'd be pretty damned pissed too.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's because they're contained within a vehicle, which from your vantage point is acting as a resonant chamber. Remove the chamber/vehicle and the system output decreases drastically.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep. Do an internet search on "Cabin Gain" and you'll see Bill's not making it up.

Mattalicious, going for that fat bottom end is OK, but do it with woofers designed for Pro-Audio applications. Perhaps replace the 15 with an 18. OR lose the 410 and use 2x15's instead. Either way, you'll have to search around for the cabs that are voiced to your liking. Not all 15's are fat sounding if you know what I mean..........

10. My friend has a convertable Mustang. When the top is on, the sound is pretty loud both in and out of the car (within a certain radius at least) but with the top down you can't hear much of anything, especially when you start to get going pretty fast.

11. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for clearing that up. Makes me wanna go back to the old neighborhood and convert everyone's cars to convertibles.

12. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    look in the show your amps forum i forget who it is but the guy with the hot rodded upright.....hes got 2 8" sub or 10"s i believe he plays with....bet its not a ****ty setup or he wouldnt use it right?

13. ...will sound like crap.

Oh, sorry. I thought we were playing Mad Libs.