Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

connecting power amp to cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bpm2000, Jul 27, 2002.

1. I finally got all my stuff together and I just need to get the appropriate cables to hook this stuff up together. I got an instrument cable to go from the preamp(yamaha Pb1) to the power amp(Peavey CS800). My question is what to do from the power amp to the bass cab(Avatar 2x10). There are a lot of different outputs on the power amp and Im confused as to what I need. There is a 1/4" "high" output, a 1/4" "low" output, binding posts, and 2 x 1/4" outputs (a pair for each channel) for "paralled speaker outputs". My avatar cab is a 4ohm with 2 1/4" inputs in the back, unlabeled. What are my options in between these two things?

thanks for the help.

2. DO NOT USE INSTRUMENT CABLES FOR CONNECTING AMPLIFIERS TOGETHER.

You need to get some Speaker Cables.

3. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That CS-800 has provisions for crossover and transformer "cans". They plug into that 8 pin socket that's near them. You should ignore them for your situation. Just run a speaker cable from the speaker output and you're good to go. If its a short cable run, (a few feet) 16 gauge should be fine. You can use either the 1/4" speaker outs or the binding posts. The binding posts will make a better connection. However, if all your cab has are 1/4" inputs, don't worry about doing that. Hope that helps!:cool:

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    What? Sorry, but I've always been told that you use speaker cables to connect amps to SPEAKERS, but not for any other purpose (such as connecting preamps to poweramps or daisy-chaining poweramps.) Instrument/guitar cables work fine for preamp-poweramp connections, but you may want to get very short, unshielded 1/4" patch cables for better connections and less noise.

You do need speaker cables to connect your poweramp to your speakers, though. Since you have only one speaker, you can't bi-amp (use one cab for highs and one for lows,) so you should just use regular outputs and not "high" or "low" outputs. To go from the poweramp to the speaker, I'd recommend a banana to 1/4" cable if you can find one (banana plugs are designed to fit snugly into binding posts. If you don't know what they look like, you'll probably recognize them when you see them.) Otherwise, just use a plain 1/4" speaker cable. Make sure it's not an instrument cable... speaker cables are usually a bit thicker and might have "speaker" written in fine print somewhere on the cable.

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Sorry, I was responding to Snaggletooth's post that you're supposed to "use speaker cables for connecting amplifiers together."

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Ed McMahon voice on:
    "You are correct sir"
    Ed McMahon voice off

I was confused because bpm was confused over all those confusing jacks on the back of his CS-800, which I am familiar with and therefore not confused about. And yes, instrument cables should be used for daisy-chaining amp channels together, which can easily be done with a CS-800. But I don't think that's what bpm was confused about, snaggletooth may have been though.:cool:

8. Thanks guys. I made a cable with a 1/4" and bananas and it works fine.

9. whoops. well, if its any excuse, i just woke up two hours before i posted that. :D